Samsung SyncMaster T240 - broken cclf lamps

Tadej_

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
Hi,

Today i bought a broken T240 monitor in the hopes of easily fixing it by replacing a few caps. The display problem was that the picture died about 2 seconds after showing picture. I did notice the light was very weak as well.

When I took the monitor apart it turned out that a pair of cclf lamps was broken (some yellowish liquid spilled around the area as well).

I searched ebay for replacement lamps and didn't get many results but I did find some replacement LED strips that would work even better if they fit.
So my question is: does anyone know whether these strips will work for my display? I do know the width of 540mm is correct. There is some explanation in the description of the item but I don't understand this broken Chinese English...

Link to the led strips: ebay link

My second question is: When googling I noticed that about 99% percent of people that had this 2 second blackout problem sorted it by replacing the transformer. Now is it possible that the in my case the transformer is also broken and it's causing the 2 second blackout or is it plausible that this blackout is caused by the shattered cclf alone?

Thanks for your help guys!

It's fairly rare for CCFL bulbs to break, but when they do they will cause the symptoms you experience. Replacing the transformer probably won't help.
You could use the sort of LED replacements you found, but you may have to practice your soldering skills first. CCFLs use very high voltages, but LEDs need a 12v source. The semi-cryptic instructions explain how to connect the LEDs so that they will turn on when your monitor turns on. I would guess that you would need to replace both/all backlights with LEDs for things to work.

Tadej_

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
Thanks for the answer. But is there any way i can make the brightness regulation work? or will the brighness level be static in my case

The LEDs say they are adjustable, but whether or not that will work depends on how they connect to your monitor control board. I've never done the replacement myself with LEDs, so I can't say for sure.