Samsung T5 BSOD upon plugin, but. . .

Roybromwell

Honorable
Nov 30, 2015
Hello everyone!! As the title says. if my T5 is plugged in, a BSOD soon follows. If it's plugged in on startup, my PC is guaranteed to BSOD before I can log in.

There's a catch, though; the BSOD only occurs when I plug the T5 into my Thunderbolt 3 add-on card. It connects fine when I attach it straight to the mobo. I have all the latest drivers and still, no luck. Scanned the drive for errors, did some troubleshooting, and I'm told all is good. But it's not. It should also be noted, every other drive works fine when attached to the card, it's just the T5. One more thing , the BSOD says something about "DRIVER VERIFIER DMA violation".

I have Googled this for hours and it seems my issue is one of a kind. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, for any help that can be provided.

Solution
Your add-in board drivers are probably faulty.

Start a Command Prompt and type verifier and press Enter or using the Run dialog type verifier and click OK.

You can choose to Display existing settings if you want to see what is currently set to be tested. Every item under Settings and verified drivers should have it's Enabled status set set to "No."

From the main Driver Verifier Manager window, select Delete existing settings, and click Finish. A reboot will be required.

The point of the Driver Verifier in Windows is to hammer on device drivers to cause them to BSOD and expose errors for developers to...

Roybromwell

Honorable
Nov 30, 2015

Seems to be the case and I have no idea what to do. Should I just give up on plugging this particular device in to that particular port? All other devices work in those ports, it's just this darn SSD.

Your add-in board drivers are probably faulty.

Start a Command Prompt and type verifier and press Enter or using the Run dialog type verifier and click OK.

You can choose to Display existing settings if you want to see what is currently set to be tested. Every item under Settings and verified drivers should have it's Enabled status set set to "No."

From the main Driver Verifier Manager window, select Delete existing settings, and click Finish. A reboot will be required.

The point of the Driver Verifier in Windows is to hammer on device drivers to cause them to BSOD and expose errors for developers to fix. It shouldn't normally be running, and may not be the cause of your issue here, but it does look like a possible suspect.

Solution

Roybromwell

Honorable
Nov 30, 2015

You are the MASTER, friend! This actually fixed my issue! Thanks, pal!!

You know what's even cooler? I asked a question, previously, on the forum about why I couldn't plug in more than 1 device into the card and we were left just thinking the board simply didn't provide enough power to make that a possibility. But after your suggestion, now I can do that, too. Great job!