Question Samsung T5 SSD turned "Raw"

FrenchyfromPA

Reputable
Apr 13, 2017
Hi,

I have a new Samsung T5 SSD that just turned "raw" recently. I reformatted that drive and checked the health status in CrystalDisk "Good 99%". Afterwards I did a s.m.a.r.t check with Samsung Magician and then I saw in the results "187,Uncorrectable Error Count,0,98,98,13466,FAIL" and "195,ECC Error Rate,0,199,199,13466,FAIL" . So it's weird that Crystal doesn't detect these errors but Samsung Magician does... Actually it's the first time I use Samsung Magician and before I only used Crystaldisk to check my drives health. So I guess the best thing is to send back that drive to get a replacement but do you know what is the cause of these errors and the drive turning "raw"? Is it because it was a little bit overheating when I was transferring data?

Thanks for your help,

Serge

Could we see CrystalDiskInfo's SMART output?

A drive becomes "raw" if Windows can't mount the file system due to some corruption in the metadata. The OS then treats the drive as a bunch of bits.

GSmartControl reports bad sectors in its SMART error logs. That might tell you a bit more about the problem.

FrenchyfromPA

Reputable
Apr 13, 2017
Could we see CrystalDiskInfo's SMART output?

A drive becomes "raw" if Windows can't mount the file system due to some corruption in the metadata. The OS then treats the drive as a bunch of bits.

GSmartControl reports bad sectors in its SMART error logs. That might tell you a bit more about the problem.
Thanks for your message. Well, I returned that SSD to get a replacement. I found some errors when I reformatted the drive not with Crystaldisk but with Samsung Magician

FrenchyfromPA

Reputable
Apr 13, 2017
CrystalDiskInfo's sees the same SMART data as Samsung Magician and displays it more completely. The difference is that Samsung Magician interprets the data whereas CrystalDiskInfo generally does not.
Ok thank you very much for the information. I returned the SSD a few days ago and got a new one.

ASK THE COMMUNITY