[SOLVED] Samsung T5 SSD turned "Raw"

FrenchyfromPA

Reputable
Apr 13, 2017
Hi,

I have a new Samsung T5 SSD that just turned "raw" recently. I reformatted that drive and checked the health status in CrystalDisk "Good 99%". Afterwards I did a s.m.a.r.t check with Samsung Magician and then I saw in the results "187,Uncorrectable Error Count,0,98,98,13466,FAIL" and "195,ECC Error Rate,0,199,199,13466,FAIL" . So it's weird that Crystal doesn't detect these errors but Samsung Magician does... Actually it's the first time I use Samsung Magician and before I only used Crystaldisk to check my drives health. So I guess the best thing is to send back that drive to get a replacement but do you know what is the cause of these errors and the drive turning "raw"? Is it because it was a little bit overheating when I was transferring data?

Thanks for your help,

Serge

Solution
Could we see CrystalDiskInfo's SMART output?

A drive becomes "raw" if Windows can't mount the file system due to some corruption in the metadata. The OS then treats the drive as a bunch of bits.

GSmartControl reports bad sectors in its SMART error logs. That might tell you a bit more about the problem.

A drive becomes "raw" if Windows can't mount the file system due to some corruption in the metadata. The OS then treats the drive as a bunch of bits.

GSmartControl reports bad sectors in its SMART error logs. That might tell you a bit more about the problem.

Solution

FrenchyfromPA

Reputable
Apr 13, 2017

Thanks for your message. Well, I returned that SSD to get a replacement. I found some errors when I reformatted the drive not with Crystaldisk but with Samsung Magician