Question Samsung T7 Shield seen by W7 as ATA hdd. Portable to what?

Persister

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2014
I used only 10% of a T7 on a W10 pc for backup. But when I usb it in a W7-64 I'm asked to format, told the disk is dirty, and can see it is treated as a lettered hdd. The suggested fixes on web, starting with chkdsk, are not anything I would do to a working portable ssd.

Samsung is either stumped or has outsourced support to zombies, nothing done on a ticket for 2 weeks.

Persister

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2014
If Windows is prompting you to format a drive, it means that it can see the partition but doesn't recognise the file system.

Could we see the Partitions tab in DMDE?

https://dmde.com/
Thanks, but I don't know DMDE.* T7 comes pre-formated and works fine in W10. All operations OK and chkdsk no errors. Format is a FAT called ex-FAT, proprietary to Sams I believe. This seems to be all about W7. Are you saying DMDE will do diagnosis, non-destructive, presumably in the W7 machine (?), but bypassing the OS? What would that tell me? I don't even want to chkdsk in W7 bc IME Windows immediately starts to fix any errors it finds. Even if no damage, how will it work when I bring it back to W10? It's supposed to be portable storage.

*I appreciate all suggestions but I no longer DL and do learning curve on stuff just bc it's free.

Meantime, after 2 weeks waiting, Samsung (a bot?) asks what happens when I try format in W7. SMH. SMH.