Question Samsung T7 Touch Portable SSD - 1TB Very Slow

SimplyWillis

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
I just bought this ssd and am using it for general storage with a few programs installed to it. I had the 500gb T5 and I thought this would be a nice upgrade. I tried to transfer the data over (~400GBs) and it was incredibly slow, slowing down to the single digit kb/s after about 15 minutes at what would be normal ssd speeds). When attempting to use the disk at all, the disk activity spikes to 100% usage and stays there (with essentially no reads or writes occurring; <100kb/s). Both usbA-usbC and usbC-usbC cables and different ports have been tried and don't make much of a difference. Crystal Disk Mark benchmark: View: https://i.imgur.com/vQliUmp.png
. Is it just faulty hardware? I've tried disk defrag/ optimize and diskchk (which came back with no problems).
Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

SimplyWillis

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
Here is the Crystal Disk Info. The T5 performs similarly, though I never noticed the problem with that one. They both seem to wildly range from the scores above to 'normal' ssd speeds (~200 mb/s) on differing benchmarks. I'm beginning to think this is a Windows problem, but I'm not sure what could be causing it. Could it be the drive is indexing each time I write a not insignificant amount of data to it? Usually it seems shutting down the pc entirely and re-running the benchmark will get significantly better results.

View: https://i.imgur.com/ZG9UmFh.png

SimplyWillis

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
12 unsafe shutdowns already too. Have you been crashing or locking up quite a bit lately?

Not a lot I don't think? About the same time I got this drive, I did notice Windows acting strangely. I don't know if it's related to the drive, but when I would attempt transfers, file explorer would lock up, and my keyboard and mouse would freak out. Once, right-clicking would act as left-clicking. The keyboard would continuously type "d" and "e", and other file explorer glitching and weird behavior would occur. It seems to only occur when I was transferring to this particular drive, and not at anytime else. Also, the mouse cursor would become just noticeably unresponsive by about a second. Is it possible for an external drive to cause these errors? Possible a recent windows update?

Sep 5, 2020
I've got the same problem with a new T7 non-touch I've only had a few days. Blackmagic Disk Speed Test says 38mb/s write and 36mb/s read. I've contacted Samsung regarding this and the poor customer support people clearly have no information despite hundreds of comments on forums over the last couple of years.

I also talked to BlackMagic Design who have the T5 pictured with a lot of their gear including the new ATEM Mini Pro + ISO - and they've been getting large numbers of people reporting the same.

I've been trying to use the drive on a few mac's, an ATEM Mini Pro ISO, and a couple of PCs

I'll post if I hear anything new from either.

I've not found any solution online