Samsung Targets SSD for Gamers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Sounds like they might rival Intel drives...but how will their price be? It will be nice to see price, and speed side by side...maybe Toms will do a compare article...?

xavier_23

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Gaming on pc? Like Diablo 3 in 2011 on 6 core and dx 11? Cmon, i stick with consoles this era. The golden age is no more on today pc. Welcome to the big UPUPUPgrade, i hate it. Go buy Ssd with 300 mb speed to play Mahjong, and next month the hdd is already old. The hell, all the rig is getting old....the ps2 has 10 years and yet are games for him.

wesleywatson

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
So, this SSD targeting gamers is exactly like all other SSDs that don't target gamers. Should be nice reads and writes, but I don't see how they made this different from all the other fast SSDs out there.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
this is the same as the corsair P256 and the Dell branded ssd's that come in their notebooks. It is an outstanding SSD. And Dell sells them for $480 (for the 256GB which is AMAZING)

simplyderp

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Xaviar, that's because console games are PC games with low/medium settings and no AA!

I'm still trying to notice a difference between my raid 0 1.28TB WD Caviar Black and 30GB OCZ Vertex in everyday computing/gaming. I think I'll wait a couple of years to invest in another SSD...

"SSD for gamers" is synonymous to "AMD dragon platform". It's just another marketing strategy to target uninformed consumers. I'll pass, thanks.

Mr_Man

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
It's good to see them marketing something for gamers that isn't just about frame rates and bling. Load times and boot times are important to make PC's rival consoles.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]Um what? Are you retarded by any chance?[/citation]
kami3k i'm not sure if you're putting down his writing or the content of his writing, but either way you are one ignorant person! How many languages can you communicate in? Yeah....that's what i thought.... stfu!

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Until they drop it to CAD$150 at the very least, I won't be touching an SSD. The performance for me doesn't justify the skyrocket price.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]xavier_23[/nom]Go buy Ssd with 300 mb speed to play Mahjong, and next month the hdd is already old.[/citation]

But it'd still load around 3x faster than any console today.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Nice.
Buying a new lappy, and I would love to have this in there. To bad I'm already over budget with it...

[citation][nom]xavier_23[/nom]Gaming on pc? Like Diablo 3 in 2011 on 6 core and dx 11? Cmon, i stick with consoles this era. The golden age is no more on today pc. Welcome to the big UPUPUPgrade, i hate it. Go buy Ssd with 300 mb speed to play Mahjong, and next month the hdd is already old. The hell, all the rig is getting old....the ps2 has 10 years and yet are games for him.[/citation]

Many of us like it like that.
The thought that there is always something new and better to look forward to.

Ridik876

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
"...dazzling photorealism enabled by the Samsung 256GB SSD"
Really Samsung? Forget upgrading my Radeon X800 Pro and 17" CRT...I'm getting an SSD!!!!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]deltatux[/nom]Until they drop it to CAD$150 at the very least, I won't be touching an SSD. The performance for me doesn't justify the skyrocket price.[/citation]

Totally agree with this, I have posted in other SSD stories and been beaten down by the SSD zealots. I think the idea of an SSD is great, but when I have a basic installation of my programs of around 110Gb, then have to add games on top, that's pushing a serious amount of storage.

"Why dont you install games and your Virtual XP image on another HDD?"

Duh, doesn't the Virtual XP need to run faster too? Don't games need to load faster? Of course they do, having a piddly 30Gb or 60Gb SSD isn't going to cut it. The reason why this story is targeting gamers is not because it is just an SSD, but that they know gamers have huge installations and 256Gb is going to be just about sufficient for the high capacity demands of games.

justcallmeben

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]xavier_23[/nom]....the ps2 has 10 years and yet are games for him.[/citation]
yep, and graphics and specs stayed the same for 10 years... Have fun with your year2000 draphics, I'll go play Crysis on my 700$ PC now, a game even the PS3 can run decently btw ;)

xavier_23

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Upgrade your life, the new dx 11 is here, and what games are for it? A yes, not a single one, at most Grid 2 or some other shooter will be.No thanks. I am curios about Ps4, not Sli or Fps testing.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Dude! Back to the story? This is about SSD's, not a pissing contest between console and PC gaming. End of story, PCs are better at gaming than consoles, cosoles are cheaper than PCs. Get over it.

When the next generation of consoles come out they will have SSD's as well so try not to diss the tech too much.

xavier_23

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Hei dude SSD is better, but the title go for the GAMERS, and you have max 25 years so stay home, PC is better, but in gamming is not the power that matter. I want a good story, few bugs, and fluid moves, and for that PC is almost dead. Go back to your 3d Mark and leave us. Im not in the mood to tell the OS himself is a problem, patches over patches...the vets know this things.

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
xavier_23 you idiot.

PS4 wont be out for another 5 years, by which time MS and Nintendo will already have new consoles out, the PC will have surpassed the PS3 300 times over.

go stick with your crappy console, me i'll stick to upgrading my GPU in a years time.

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]xavier_23[/nom]Hei dude SSD is better, but the title go for the GAMERS, and you have max 25 years so stay home, PC is better, but in gamming is not the power that matter. I want a good story, few bugs, and fluid moves, and for that PC is almost dead.[/citation]

again, idiot.

PC gaming is far from dead, and PC gamers know that. All PC games have a massive modding commuinity, which improves gameplay, increases playing time solves balance issues.

yeah, you get a couple of problems due to drivers etc, but nothing that you cant solve within a few minutes - as long as you have a few brain cells still firing.

justcallmeben

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]xavier_23[/nom]I want a good story, few bugs, and fluid moves, and for that PC is almost dead.[/citation]
story: hasn't got anything to do with console vs PC.

bugs: the first bugfree game has yet to be invented. At least PC games allow patching. On consoles, IF there is a patch, you have to pay for it.

gameplay: FPS's have to be slowed down for consoles. RTS's CAN'T be done on consoles. RPG's have to come up with crappy radial menus on consoles. Tell me again: how does the console beat the PC in gameplay?

My best guess: Xavier has an old Pentium3 which can't even run the sims, but mum got him a PS3 for christmass, and now he thinks it's the best thing in the world.
[citation][nom]xavier_23[/nom]Go back to your 3d Mark and leave us..[/citation]
you started the trolling

Status
Not open for further replies.