Samsung: The GS4 Will Hit 10 Million Sales in a Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Looking forward to the Note 3 this Fall the bigger, faster better version of the S4.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Well samsung is doing quite well with those super smarthphones that might be why are selling phones like if they were giving them away....
I am personally waiting for the Note 3 too... but I started to doubt about a plastic quality screen... I would like better a glass gorilla... not plastic I wouldn't dare to spent a lot of bucks for more ... plastic... just that wouldn't be right in any way.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Well samsung is doing quite well with those super smarthphones that might be why are selling phones like if they were giving them away....
I am personally waiting for the Note 3 too... but I started to doubt about a plastic quality screen... I would like better a glass gorilla... not plastic I wouldn't dare to spent a lot of bucks for more ... plastic... just that wouldn't be right in any way.

Marko Laurikainen

Honorable
May 18, 2013
I should have bought one of these. Just broke the glass on my SGS3 after dropping it from my car roof at 80 km/h (bad short term memory has it's problems). The phone survived, even the screen survived, but the repair company doesn't know how to change only the glass so it's a 250€ bill just for that. Had I known SGS4 was out, I would have gone for this instead.

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009

The way I understood it was that its display is plastic with a glass cover. There is no quality issue with that, it makes a stronger phone. Well one less thing that can break anyway.
But I might be wrong.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
I'm currently happy with my Note 2, but I hope this doesn't encourage them to just slap more gimmicky software features next year and call it a S5...
My next device will be either a Nexus or an HTC, if samsung keeps this up..

I'm sort of confused about why everybody hates plastic, but hates aluminium. I've got an HTC Desire S, and the aluminum is scratched and dinged to hell, even though it's been in a case. My dad's (now mum's) SGS is older, had a rougher life, and still looks better.
Plastic is a way better material to build stuff out of, if done correctly.

only a tard buys a phone on how it looks?
i know looks is not everything, but it does matter. don't tell me you dont consider the looks of your tv, or car, or girl. it's not the most important but it does matter.
with everything else equal, then looks might mean the difference.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

Too bad the smart phones are not equal. The main sell for me for the GS4 is the microSD slot, which both the iphone and the HTC one lacks.

I cannot believe HTC marketing guys missed this very important feature.
And I've heard that the HTC One in China now is equipped with dual-sim with micorSD slot. So they're trying to catch up to GS4... but a bit too late.

ptmmac

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I should have bought one of these. Just broke the glass on my SGS3 after dropping it from my car roof at 80 km/h (bad short term memory has it's problems). The phone survived, even the screen survived, but the repair company doesn't know how to change only the glass so it's a 250€ bill just for that. Had I known SGS4 was out, I would have gone for this instead.
I was struggling with 2 children under 3 years old and no sleep when the first iPhone came out. I had an awesome case that was made out of a rubbery material and included a tire design on the back. l left that damn thing on top of my car 8 times and never had it fall off. It would just stick like crazy. If you have ever had to put a toddler in a 5 point harness while carrying a baby in another 5 point harness carrier, you would know why I couldn't keep track of the thing when I had less than 3 hours of sleep at night. I never lost the phone or damaged it until I gave it to my wife as a hand me down. She promptly put it in an extremely thin white case which only changed the color to white. On the way to the emergency room with our child I managed to put the phone on top of the car. It blew off on the highway. I actually heard it go and just said oh well! A policeman found it on the highway and tracked me down to return it. It still worked as an Ipod, but the cell phone radio quit working because the blow to the aluminum ring around the screen broke it.
Moral of the story is buy a cheap but thick rubber phone cover and you may never have to repair a damaged phone.

Heat dissipation isn't a major design factor in a phone - there's usually under 2W, and the aluminium is only useful if it is actually coupled to the chip. Battery life is more of a factor, and you can't beat removable batteries in that respect.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

You're right that metal is better heat conductor than plastic. But I disagree how that relates to the thermo design of the smartphones.
Agree with 'Someone Somewhere', smartphones are designed to run under low power which shouldn't give off too much heat.

And to have good heat dissipation, the metal needs to have some sort of thermo paste attached to the heat generating part of the phone. Because air-gap is a decent themo insulator.

By the way most of the heat generated comes from the LCD screen.

soundping

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

A lot of people stream music to their car radio or listen at work. A microSD is the best and cheapest storage for these tasks. Not everybody wants the cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.