News Samsung To Keep Using AMD's RDNA GPUs For Exynos SoCs

Apr 1, 2020
This makes me even less likely to continue to use Samsung...After getting royally boned with the Galaxy S22+ the last thing I want to see is them continuing to use sub par graphics, especially if they continue their push to use Exynos globally.

Aug 25, 2022
Anton Shilov,
I enjoy the reading your articles. But i have to say you could take a profile picture that makes you look less pissed...
Just saying. Good content though not trying to give you a hard time. As for the QUALCOMM Chips i remember when I lived in san Diego well Coronado island and went to QUALCOMM field and for years of them making chips for phones no one had any idea national what or who they were really until android. I skipped s22 line up new chips not right. If your device is thermal throttling and not giving you the spec it promises. Their is something wrong...I mean I build pc's and have heat's my enemy right the at least for any K series intel chip your trying to squeeze the most out of.
They dropped the ball and its still bouncing....

washmc

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
"At present, Samsung uses Qualcomm's premium Snapdragon SoCs for its Galaxy S smartphones sold in Asia and the U.S., its own Exynos SoCs are used in models sold Europe. The new deal allows Samsung to use Exynos Adreno for European Galaxy S smartphones, but it does not necessarily oblige the company to do so. Therefore, if Samsung has an Exynos SoC with a competitive CPU and GPU implementation, it might use it instead of Exynos Adreno. "

You're getting your Exynos and Adreno's mixed up

Jul 28, 2022
why all the negativity? ATI's early showing was mediocre when the GPU wars started and they ended up competing for best image quality and fastest GPU line up in just a few years. The fact that they are this serious right out of the gate means lots of good things in the future once drivers and compatibility are up especially in the tablet space

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
The article might need some editing, there's a missing "in" in "its own Exynos SoCs are used in models sold Europe" and in "Therefore, if Samsung has an Exynos SoC with a competitive CPU and GPU implementation, it might use it instead of Exynos " you probably meant to say "instead of Snapdragon/Qualcomm".

On Samsung and its Xclipsing Exynos line, honestly after the Dimensity 9000 5G I would have preferred to see a Mediatek alternative in some markets, rather than having Samsung strengthening Qualcomm's monopoly.

why all the negativity? ATI's early showing was mediocre when the GPU wars started and they ended up competing for best image quality and fastest GPU line up in just a few years. The fact that they are this serious right out of the gate means lots of good things in the future once drivers and compatibility are up especially in the tablet space

because samsung is not ATI. the issues with exynos team has been going on for a few years now. just strapping some AMD GPU into the exynos does not make it have the best graphic in the SoC world.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I think we need to establish what is the reason(s) for the "mediocre" performance. It almost sounds like the blame is completely on AMD's RDNA2, which strangely have been proven on PCs that they are very fast. In fact a cut down iGPU on the Van Gogh APU runs games very well on a Steam deck. In my opinion, the possible reasons for poor performance will be,
1. Samsung's fab - This is well known that their existing node isn't great as compared to the likes of TSMC. So far, AMD chips are produced only on TSMC, and this is the only time RDNA2 ended on a Samsung fab,

2. Software is not ready - AMD/ATI have been absent from the mobile SOC space ever since they sold their mobile GPU to Qualcomm. It may take time for them to get their driver and also game engine optimization up to date