Samsung to Offer Better Battery Option For Galaxy S III

Status
Not open for further replies.

kj3639

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
I run CM10 on my S3 and generally keep brightness levels down. I can almost achieve two days on a single charge with a 2100 mAh battery.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
In 30 years time our childrens children will be using devices that "last 4 years" without a single charge. Then when we tell them "Back in my day, we were happy if our phone lasted 2 days!" and the kid will say "omg you had to stop using your phone and charge it? Thats stupid, what happens if it dies where you have no outlet? How could you keep charging it like that, what an inconvenience!!"

And we'll smile and shake our head.

Batteries.. There is so much energy in matter a phone if converted can take out a city. Yet we struggle to have a big battery last a day.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
My note 2 lasts all day with about 30-50% left at the end. I run it at full brightness.
The note 2 battery performance should be the benchmark.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]You can get a 7500mAh battery back cover for the Note II...[/citation]

Used to use a 3500mah extended battery in my droid incredible compared to the 1300mah stock battery. A lot of people had a WTF reaction when they saw how big the phone was due to the battery and said the thing was too big. I made about every single one of them shut up when i told them to show me their phones which all conviently had protective cases on it and were quite a bit larger than mine when put side by side.

Just wish my new phone had a extended battery option but so far so good it hasn't needed it.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]... Then when we tell them "Back in my day, we were happy if our phone lasted 2 days!" ...[/citation]

Funny I already say that. Back when i was young my cellphone lasted a full week with a single charge. These days that crap can't live through one full day. But hey.. we got tiles/facecrap/apps/whatever...

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Why would a battery need NFC?[/citation]
The article was worded poorly. The NFC is on the backcover and not the battery.

owq

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
[citation][nom]iKyunG[/nom]The article was worded poorly. The NFC is on the backcover and not the battery.[/citation]

No. The NFC chip is IN THE BATTERY. Your comment is worded poorly...

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]In 30 years time our childrens children will be using devices that "last 4 years" without a single charge. Then when we tell them "Back in my day, we were happy if our phone lasted 2 days!" and the kid will say "omg you had to stop using your phone and charge it? Thats stupid, what happens if it dies where you have no outlet? How could you keep charging it like that, what an inconvenience!!"And we'll smile and shake our head. Batteries.. There is so much energy in matter a phone if converted can take out a city. Yet we struggle to have a big battery last a day.[/citation]

They will probably use the resident hydrogen in the air and last forever. Infinite battery life.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]kj3639[/nom]I run CM10 on my S3 and generally keep brightness levels down. I can almost achieve two days on a single charge with a 2100 mAh battery.[/citation]

I run the stock firmware (4.1.1) and regularly have no issue going 2 days without a charge, and I keep brightness levels up. This thing smokes my old Thunderbolt in speed and up time.

joellim

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
iphone users will be butthurt by this article....our batteries dont even last a full work day with heavy usage.

-an iphone user

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]This thing smokes my old Thunderbolt in speed and up time.[/citation]That's like saying it gets better battery life than your i7 gaming rig with a worn-out battery while running Crysis.[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]You can get a 7500mAh battery back cover for the Note II...[/citation]Yeah plus it doubles as a free weight so you can pump iron while you text!

G

I got Frosty Jelly bean 11.2.1 and my battery last with heavy usage 2 days :)

Firion87

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
I remember some old phones that used to keep working after heavy usage (talking actually on a phone, yeah it is a mobile telephone too) somewhere around 2-3 days. I know you will say they didn't had color displays, my answer: bigger (screens) is not always better then technological advancement. I was really fine with something around 2.8-3.2" and the lame 320-240 resolution. I bet with a nice gpu, a simple dual core and a advanced superamoled (or what is the most advanced in display technology) would be able to run at least 4 days.......

hppart

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]That's like saying it gets better battery life than your i7 gaming rig with a worn-out battery while running Crysis.Yeah plus it doubles as a free weight so you can pump iron while you text![/citation]

i will pump ya momma!

mrmez

Splendid
[citation][nom]joellim[/nom]iphone users will be butthurt by this article....our batteries dont even last a full work day with heavy usage.-an iphone user[/citation]

Speak for yourself. 9 hours so far and 65%
That includes some GPS time, ~45 min phone (bt), and the usual videos and FB and rubbish. If im a little careful I can get 2 days easy out of the iPhone 5.

As for heavy usage, todays phones are crammed with so much capabilities, and a lot of them can run simultaneously. GPS, 4G data, and a phone call can, and often are running at the same time. That would smash any device.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]mrmez[/nom]Speak for yourself. 9 hours so far and 65%That includes some GPS time, ~45 min phone (bt), and the usual videos and FB and rubbish. If im a little careful I can get 2 days easy out of the iPhone 5.As for heavy usage, todays phones are crammed with so much capabilities, and a lot of them can run simultaneously. GPS, 4G data, and a phone call can, and often are running at the same time. That would smash any device.[/citation]
You're by no means a heavy user, rather a light user. Don't get me wrong, the iOS is better in energy conservation than Android, but my coworker uses his iPhone all day at work, mostly for phone calls and his battery is usually less than 25% by around the 7 hour mark. Still better than my Samsung Charge with its wimpy 1600 mAh battery. If he had time to fill it in with playing games and surfing the net, it would be dead by 6 hours or less.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom] Batteries.. There is so much energy in matter a phone if converted can take out a city. Yet we struggle to have a big battery last a day.[/citation]

I don't know how I would feel about having a nuclear device up to my ear. I'd rather a defective battery melt through the floor and blow a chunk out of the earth's crust.

Status
Not open for further replies.