Samsung to Only Be Charged $923 for Gas Leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
900 hundred dollars has nothing to do with the death of someone. It is a preliminary amount. A full investigation is still being conducted.

"Just over $900 seems like a small fine for the death of a contractor within Samsung's semiconductor facility." First line of the article, in bold.

Why are you lying and manipulating? Seems rather unprofessional.

G

quick!! everyone! defend samsung from incoming iFanboy attacks!!

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
If a gas leak is not reported in a mom-and-pop shop, same danger overall, just small scale company, should the small shop be fined the millions of dollars Samsung appears was expected to be fined?
I am not expressing my opinion now, I am just asking a question, while I debate the answer within myself too.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
The fine isn't what I care about it is the loss of human life where my concern is. Why was this lone person not in a hazmat suit when the others were? It just seems so irresponsible on everyone's part from his own to his co-workers for letting him. It seems highly unlikely that he was ordered to go in there without one and even if that was the case he would be insane for following that order. Would any of you? I sure the heck wouldn't. If I was one of those four in one I would have told him to go and even dragged his ass out by force if I had to which they should have done.

nino_z

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
I am sure they fined them as much as they could - i mean why not? It's not like the state likes certain companied and fines them less. You mess up - people will fine you. Trust me, the state will always take the maximum possible amound.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]nino_z[/nom]I am sure they fined them as much as they could - i mean why not? It's not like the state likes certain companied and fines them less. You mess up - people will fine you. Trust me, the state will always take the maximum possible amound.[/citation]

There's countless examples of big business getting the minimum or rules bent because they're a large employer in a particular jurisdiction. Its dollars and politics.

[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]There's countless examples of big business getting the minimum or rules bent because they're a large employer in a particular jurisdiction. Its dollars and politics.[/citation]
Correct about the bent rules/home field advantage.
Remember the "fair" trial recently in Cupertino's back yard.

In this case, however, it seems that the poor worker was not wearing a protective suit - WTF, playing Superman? The others were wearing them, meaning there was a policy as such in effect there. The fine was for delayed reporting - NOT for the accidental death of the worker, which the OP seems to conveniently imply. There is a standard fine and it was applied.
Besides, in a case that gains such notoriety so quickly, openly protecting a company from the remainder of what you think would have been the full amount is professional suicide. There are other Korean companies that would have cried "foul" the very next moment, and that official that handed them the fine would have lost his/her job and any prospects of being hired in a trustworthy position. The successor would have corrected the "mistake" and applied the remainder of the amount promptly. It's not like this was a behind-the-curtains deal.
It seems that the deceased chose to enter the contaminated area without the proper equipment. Heroics and industrial accidents don't mix well. Too bad for him and his family.

[citation][nom]neon neophyte[/nom]900 hundred dollars has nothing to do with the death of someone. It is a preliminary amount. A full investigation is still being conducted."Just over $900 seems like a small fine for the death of a contractor within Samsung's semiconductor facility." First line of the article, in bold.Why are you lying and manipulating? Seems rather unprofessional.[/citation]
The OP is rather trolling us ( or, using this as trollbait), hoping to ignite a flame war. This is ALSO unprofessional. [citation][nom]FlippyFlap[/nom]quick!! everyone! defend samsung from incoming iFanboy attacks!![/citation]
See what I mean? Got a bite already!

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
A five-member maintenance crew from STI Service was called in to begin repair work later on at 11:00pm.

Samsung reportedly didn't inform the proper authorities about the leak until more than a full day after the one of the contractors died (identified as "Park") in the hospital due to overexposure to the poisonous gas. He was reportedly not wearing a full hazmat suit, whereas the other four who were later discharged from the hospital were wearing their full protective gear.

Walk into a hazardous environment without the proper gear?

Either he wasn't trained properly or he was being really stupid. If you know you're working in a place with hazardous chemicals you make damn sure you're not being exposed to them.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]The fine isn't what I care about it is the loss of human life where my concern is. Why was this lone person not in a hazmat suit when the others were? It just seems so irresponsible on everyone's part from his own to his co-workers for letting him. It seems highly unlikely that he was ordered to go in there without one and even if that was the case he would be insane for following that order. Would any of you? I sure the heck wouldn't. If I was one of those four in one I would have told him to go and even dragged his ass out by force if I had to which they should have done.[/citation]
^ This.

I'm also wondering why he wasn't in a suit when his 3 other co-workers were. They had to of know what type of gas they were dealing with and the consequences. :/

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]nino_z[/nom]I am sure they fined them as much as they could - i mean why not? It's not like the state likes certain companied and fines them less. You mess up - people will fine you. Trust me, the state will always take the maximum possible amound.[/citation]
As others have pointed out, this is often not the case. In particular, Samsung is a massive company and notoriously for facilitating government corruption.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/26/technology/26samsung.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

ven1ger

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
[citation][nom]JacekRing[/nom]Besides I don't see how this is Samsung fault...it was a sub contractor who didn't follow procedure when dealing with a hazardous substance.It's like if I hire an electrician to rewire my panel, and he gets himself electrocuted I'm responsible???[/citation]

You may be if you maybe turned on the juice while he was working in the panel...just joking.

Seriously though, I think best to wait for all the information to come out before people jump all over this as information only seems to be dribbling in little bits and pieces and some of the way its being laid out may have some bias involved by some parties.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I'm curious, $900 isn't enough... not suggesting it is either, so what is a sufficient amount for the life of an individual to a company that profits *over* $2,000,000,000 a month? Is it about compensating the family, or punishing the company? How much???

Stupid article about a needless tragedy.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I am with the first poster, why not make sure you have your facts and report facts. Also, $900 over there is like 4 months pay for most of their workers, that would be like a $10,000+ fine in the US.

And as the first poster said, I doubt that is going to be the outcome related to the deaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.