Samsung TV as a secondary monitor randomly really messed up.

levi10607

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
As I have had for quite some time, I have my TV in my bedroom connected to my GPU via HDMI. It has worked perfectly fine to date except today, I went downstairs to cook supper and came back up to this monstrosity (My monitor's Background vs my TV's Background) any idea what could have happened?

Windows PC, i3-7100, Nvidia 750ti

Using the same HDMI port / cable on the TV with my Nintendo Switch causes no issues, I've tried updating my drivers, virus scans, all that stuff, with no luck. Any ideas?

Solution

To be honest, random hardware failure isn't a common occurrence, but it's certainly not out of question. Considering all that you've done already...

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
Blow out all of the dust inside your GPU, including inside the HDMI port itself. If that doesn't work, it's probably that particular HDMI port going out. If you have any other ports, you can buy a cheap adapter for HDMI to Displayport, HDMI to DVI, etc.

levi10607

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

Tried blowing out the dust, no luck. I'll have to run out and grab an adapter tomorrow. And this could just happen randomly? It was literally a 20 minute span where nothing could have happened.

I would say I'm lucky it's not the TV but with the prices of GPU's these days, it's much cheaper to replace the TV.

Thanks so much!

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017

To be honest, random hardware failure isn't a common occurrence, but it's certainly not out of question. Considering all that you've done already, it's pretty much the only reasonable assumption. Ports going out was a common issue with older graphics cards such as the 750 ti.

Solution