News Samsung Unveils 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 SSDs: Up to 7000 MB/s for a Client PC

About time! One of the first PCIe 4.0 Drives that i was was Inland of all brands! I even bought one for a buddy (1TB Version and every Benchmark i there at it it came within 100MB or less of its solicited speeds! (5000 Read 4300 Write) and damn. Normally a SATA vs NVMe SSD (Gen 3) i hardly see a difference. But that PCIe 4.0 NVMe with a Ryzen 7 3700X was INSANE. Like i felt it would open a window before i clicked on it, it was that responsive. I hope Samsung can deliver that same felling

Makaveli

Splendid
They went TLC and half of the endurance at 600 TBW from the 1200 TBW for the 970 pro drive.

If I look to put in a second m2 drive in my system it will be something based on the Phison E18 controller.

About time! One of the first PCIe 4.0 Drives that i was was Inland of all brands! I even bought one for a buddy (1TB Version and every Benchmark i there at it it came within 100MB or less of its solicited speeds! (5000 Read 4300 Write) and damn. Normally a SATA vs NVMe SSD (Gen 3) i hardly see a difference. But that PCIe 4.0 NVMe with a Ryzen 7 3700X was INSANE. Like i felt it would open a window before i clicked on it, it was that responsive. I hope Samsung can deliver that same felling
Remember what matters for desktops is QD1 IOPS performance. One reason why Optane SSDs feel that much faster than NVMe SSDs despite being on PCIe 3.0 is due to the extremely high QD1 performance. If Samsung can hit the 60k write IOPS at QD1, then that SSD will feel much faster.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
TBW.

What is the max TBW you've personally seen on any of your solid state drives?

TBW is very important when you buy used Nvme SSD from ebay , Even if one's personal use does not reach TBW , it is still a factor when you sell it on ebay and upgrade . I cant sell my NVME drives on ebay because of the low TBW.

USAFRet

Titan
Are you asking for how many writes you have done or what is the TBW on your own SSD?
I know what mine reports.

Its just that people glom on to that 600 or 1200 or whatever number.
In reality...I have yet to see a regular consumer get anywhere near that.

As reported by CrystalDiskMark and Samsung Magician, my current C drive (500GB 850 EVO) is at 47TBW. POH of 34610. Just shy of 4 years, running almost 24/7.
All 7 drives combined are about 85.

Dismissing something because the warranty number is "only" 600TBW and not 1200 is meaningless, if you will never ever get anywhere close to that.

I know what mine reports.

Its just that people glom on to that 600 or 1200 or whatever number.
In reality...I have yet to see a regular consumer get anywhere near that.

As reported by CrystalDiskMark and Samsung Magician, my current C drive (500GB 850 EVO) is at 47TBW. POH of 34610. Just shy of 4 years, running almost 24/7.
All 7 drives combined are about 85.

Dismissing something because the warranty number is "only" 600TBW and not 1200 is meaningless, if you will never ever get anywhere close to that.
My 7 year old desktop has 2x 240GB Corsair Neutron GTX SSDs in it. One SSD has the OS and a couple games the other has more games and VMs. For writes they are at 9.8TB & 2.4TB respectively when viewed in the Corsair SSD Toolbox. I haven't used the desktop a lot more since working at home became a thing, but still don't do tons of writes to the disk. I also have no idea what the absolute TBW of those drives are, but even if it is something like 50TBW I am no where close to getting there.

At work it is a different issue as I manage a Software Defined Storage array that uses almost all SSD and in the next couple of weeks we will have a VMware vSAN all NVMe array. For the vSAN array we will be utilizing 750GB Intel Optane P4800X SSD for our cache drive. That has an insane 41PBW endurance. All the other SSDs are 7.68TB with 0.8-1.3 DWPD endurance or anywhere from 11PBW to 19PBW endurance.

Reactions: Makaveli

USAFRet

Titan
My 7 year old desktop has 2x 240GB Corsair Neutron GTX SSDs in it. One SSD has the OS and a couple games the other has more games and VMs. For writes they are at 9.8TB & 2.4TB respectively when viewed in the Corsair SSD Toolbox.
And that is my point exactly.
Fretting about 600 vs 1200 is irrelevant, when a typical user is doing 1TBW, or even up to 10TBW, per year.

Now...in a corporate environment...that's may be a whole different thing.
For a write heavy database server, you would choose different devices.

Reactions: jeremyj_83

st379

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
Hopefully they won't start advertising their technology like this if they don't want to sit next to Western Digital and their red lines in court.

Makaveli

Splendid
What is 3 bit MLC?
Is it MLC or TLC, can someone please explain it?

Its TLC that is just Samsung marketing!

TBW.

What is the max TBW you've personally seen on any of your solid state drives?

I think you are asking for how many writes.

My i7-970 Rig is retired but on that Machine I had two Intel 160G2 SSD in Raid 0 running for about 10 years. Those should be tripple digits by now for data written but I would have to put a Gpu in that machine and boot it up to confirm she is kinda in pieces at the moment.

I understand the point you are making 600 TBW is fine for a consumer drive.

However for me personally I will stick with Phison controller based drives which give me 3x the endurance.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS