Samsung Upstaging iPhone 5S Intro with Smartwatch, Note 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

HACKpatooey

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
Why worry about build quality when you can simply 'optimize' your products with S-Benchmark Booster™ and hire students to take potshots at the competition?

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
What would you make it out of? glass? metal? neither of these are as light and durable as plastic. i'll take a plastic phone anyday, then i dont have a heart attack everytime i drop it, knock it or scratch it. My galaxy S1 last me over 2 years of abuse and it still works and looks great to this day (even if i do now own a note 2).

HACKpatooey

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
Why worry about build quality when you can simply 'optimize' your products with S-Benchmark Booster™ and hire students to take potshots at the competition?

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009

Yeah, Apple has GREAT build quality... :sarcastic: Maybe they can fix the problem with the lock button on their next phone. Broke on me twice in less than two years.

waynewarrior78

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
I own the S4 and it's build quality is far from poor. In fact, it feels like every other phone on the market. I do not understand where this "poor quality plastic" idea came from, because it is far from the truth. I have held the Iphone 5, Nexus 4, and HTC One, and I will gladly take my S4 with removable battery / SD card over a closed phone that feels identical in my hand.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

It's because people don't understand basic material composition. They still think it's the 70s and don't understand how mature plastic engineering became in the last couple decades. They just assume aluminum and glass is infinitely better but don't take into account the actual product of what those materials are used for. Then again, with all the whining, Samsung introduced their Aluminum prototype phone about a month ago and it does look pretty sexy. Also, heard they are working on a new compound for a new type of material that has the flex/shock absorption of plastic/rubber with the feel and look of metallic composition.

What has Apple been doing? Oh yeah, working on their smart TV that is about 3 years too late. All the while, Samsung pumping out 256GB+ 3D Flash memory for mobile devices.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
You guys forget why the back is plastic.....REMOVEABLE BATTERY AND MICROSD CARD!
And you can swap in a wireless Qi charging back. Or a bigger battery.

It's not just plastic for the sake of plastic...how many removable metal back phones are there? Near zero if not zero :p

jdog2076

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Aside from the points already made above - who gives a crap what the phone is made out of if it's going to live in a case anyway? (Which it should.) I've heard far too many people tout the superior build quality of their phone when the whole thing is shrouded in a (gasp) plastic shell.

I agree that plastic has come a long way, and the new galaxy phones by no means feel cheap or sub-standard in the hand. HOWEVER, why make it look like cheap shiny plastic? ASUS has not once, but TWICE demonstrated that plastic can be made into elegant and nice feeling material in both their Nexus 7 generations, and phones from competitors such as HTC and Nokia are typically plast (except HTC ONE), but feature some sort of matte finish etc so it doesn't look like freshly molded cheap plastic from a pot...

OtaconTheiChimp

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
otacon72 , August 14, 2013 6:25 PM
Quote:
yeah cos the build quality of the Iphone is just that good

Compared to the hunk of plastic S4 it is. 5.7" screen? Freakin ridiculous..

Like always, you show your ignorance. Never anything insightful. Never anything truthful.

Android = choice Apple = one bland outdated choice

darknate

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
How many iphones are in metal cases? None. They are in some sort of rubber and plastic combo to protect the fragile thing. "Awesome" build quality covered up by the very thing they want to bash.
Samsung just realizes that if its it in a case, then plastic will hold up better. Most iPhone users factor in buying a new case with each new phone.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
You guys forget why the back is plastic.....REMOVEABLE BATTERY AND MICROSD CARD!
And you can swap in a wireless Qi charging back. Or a bigger battery.

It's not just plastic for the sake of plastic...how many removable metal back phones are there? Near zero if not zero :p
But does the plastic have to be thinner than a finger nail? From what I've seen of Samsung products at work and at stores, my lumia 720 feels much more solid. (plus I have dropped it quite a few times, on asphalt no less, and apart from few bumps it's great, the same can not be said for my father's S3 that's soon on its 4th month in Samsung's maintenance, likely luck, but it still affects my opinion)

Build quality is more than durability though, everyone understands that something made of glass is not as durable as something made from plastic, but it is not the material it is how that material is worked and fit together that makes the difference. Durability is more the choice of materials and the design (external and internal), than build quality.

michael908

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
The s4 is made from polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is stronger than glass, and it doesn't shatter when dropped. When you drop your S4 at least you don't have to worry about the entire thing cracking. Also polycarbonate is used for making canopies of fighter jets, not glass. The galaxy and note series offers longer battery life, more power, removable battery, sd card, infinite customization options, the only thing that can apple can contest is the screen size (some people prefer larger/smaller phones). Apple is losing in the hardware fight since they no longer rely on Samsung. Apple has over $100 billion in cash that they are doing nothing with, they should invest in R&D to compete and be innovative. All Apple is doing is patent trolling and copying now.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
The note 3 looks really nice but i'm gonna do the financially responsible thing and stick with the note 2 an additional year and keep my 20/month discount at tmobile.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Smartwatch running Touchwiz. LOL. Absolutely no thank you.
The Note 3 though, I have no doubt it'll be a great device, But I'll be going for the next nexus since I already have a note 2 and I'm absolutely sick of touchwiz and samsung's horrid slow updates. And sammy fills their internal storage with bloat and gimmickly features so it's a no go for me.
I'd install AOSP roms in a heartbeat if they were stable. But unfortunately samsung do not release their exynos sources.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013

Plastic is actually a pretty durable material to use in phones, I would say one of the most durable choices, sure it may not look the part but it sure is durable.

This sounds like a good phone, though the sheer size of the screen might keep some people away from it. Those who constantly have to juggle between a phone and a tablet might find this a perfect device. No complaints on the hardware department, it looks like the specs are top.
Plastic? Give me modern plastic (actually PCB) any day versus the glass or aluminum "solutions" deployed by Apple. AFAIK, the only iPhone that had decent quality build was the first gen iPhone 3 (and it's variants), anything after that was just meh.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I see people here mentioning build quality supposedly being better on the iphone.

To me a phone can either be owned without a pouch/cover or it has to have a pouch/cover. Now as far as I am concerned any high end smartphone these days absolutely needs some kind of cover to protect it. It is just too valuable to allow it to get scraped and dented or worse. So for me Samsung's decision to make the S4 back cover as lightweight as humanly possible made a lot of sense. Much more so than the Iphone's attempts to ruggedize a phone that will very rarely live outside a sturdy cover.

bakatenchu

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
Really...? Really the iphone quality is of high standard? It's true for the previous one but for the iphone 5, it's just crap. Accidentally dropped it on the carpet and it broke like bitch man...it's not even 1 metre high. my Samsung 'plasticky' S2 still hold it's candle even after dropped on the cement just like as high as i dropped the iphone 5...talk about quality..

bakatenchu

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
Really...? Really the iphone quality is of high standard? It's true for the previous one but for the iphone 5, it's just crap. Accidentally dropped it on the carpet and it broke like bitch man...it's not even 1 metre high. my Samsung 'plasticky' S2 still hold it's candle even after dropped on the cement just like as high as i dropped the iphone 5...talk about quality..

Status
Not open for further replies.