Review  Samsung UR59C 4K Curved Monitor Review: Premium Image, Budget Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
An entire review that doesn't mention the existing flat version? The UJ59 for $350? Weird... just get the same monitor for less and without a curve? Been on sale for 1-2 years already.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I prefer my video monitors not have speakers, audio ports, floppy disk drives, can openers... etc.

I would like to see DisplayPort and HDMI ports replaced with USB-C ports.

Jul 17, 2019
I just received this monitor yesterday. The clarity is great and color without any adjustments is very good. Since I do color specific work in Photoshop for many clients, after setting up the monitor I looked for 2 files:

A driver for the monitor, and, a color profile provided by Samsung. I found nothing. Samsung's website shows no driver/color profile for the monitor. I contacted support via chat. The support tech sent me a executable file that supposedly was the driver/color profile for this monitor. Just the title of the file aroused my suspicion. Today I called Samsung support and was told that the file I received yesterday was for an entirely different model. I was also told that no driver/color profile for this monitor is available from Samsung. Really?

My question to the reviewer of this product is did you use the default driver/color profile that Windows installs when the monitor is attached?

I also asked the tech at Samsung about profiling the monitor with a colorimeter and 3rd party profiling software. That confused him. I doubt that he had ever heard of a colorimeter, and, even implied that this monitor could even be profiled. For me....end of conversation!

I plan to keep this monitor was at least a few more days. I will then make a decision about returning it.

cheekykid

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
The HDMI black level once turned from Low to Normal completely kills my black level. Can there be such a stark difference between my monitor and the one tested here? I advise everyone to use a dark background and try between Low and Normal to see what am talking about.

Last edited:

roxton

Honorable
May 20, 2015
Hey Tom's! Why don't you mention PWM in your future monitor reviews? My eyes react on PWM quite badly and I'd love to know if a monitor uses it to adjust brightness.

chmedly

Prominent
Nov 21, 2020
Does this monitor, by any chance, accept 30Hz signals? As in broadcast professional video and security camera signals?

May 8, 2021
An entire review that doesn't mention the existing flat version? The UJ59 for $350? Weird... just get the same monitor for less and without a curve? Been on sale for 1-2 years already.
I realise this is an old post but I have to mention that when I bought my screen just over a year ago online, I took advantage of the 14 day return policy by buying both the flat and curved versions.

The curved is way better for all the reasons mentioned in this review, and the prices were near identical. The screen is visually fantastic but badly let down by its stand and lack of vesa. The flat one didn't fair any better on the stand too.

Status
Not open for further replies.