Samsung Wants To Start Galaxy S6 From Scratch With ‘Project Zero’

Status
Not open for further replies.

soldier45

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
32gb and 64gb should have been standard with the last round. 16b just isn't enough space anymore for most.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Not for nothing, but metal isn't that great a material for a smartphone...We've seen countless times how it dents and bends easily, not to mention the fact that wireless signals can't easily penetrate an aluminum case, leading to all sorts of reception issues. As an owner of the S4 looking to upgrade to the S6 eventually, I'm looking for larger internal storage, better battery life, and better camera quality. These sort of things affect how the device is used, whereas a metal body only causes design and implementation flaws for the hopeful benefit that people will see the device as being "premium." Sadly it might work too, because to some people it's always a matter of form over function...

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
How about start making smartphone tough, like the Nokia 3310 with another 25%-50% better battery life over S5? Perhaps that could give S3/S4/S5 user a strong reason to upgrade their phones.

People dont need more performance for now, they need other more useful features for everyday use.

choctawfootball

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
32 GB default ? what a joke.
talking about 64 GB and 128 GB is pathetic.
we need to be talking about 500+ GB capacity.

the snap 810 will NOT be sufficient to run a quad screen (the adreno 410 part of it).
hopefully qualcomm is holding something back.

so samsung is going to go away from plastic backs ?
To what ? metal ? yeah that's original.
the only real option is glass.

the big-little concept sounds catchy, but i think it's a fail concept.
maybe a 4 big, and 1 little when you go in super battery saving mode.

the s5 has a 2800 mAh battery...samsung will put a 3200 mAh battery in the S6 and they will call it revolutionary.
i would easily take a heavier phone with a larger battery...4000+ mAh.

samsung needs a cpu that rivals the iphone A8 processor.
dear samsung...go partner with apple and get a A8+ chip to use (let apple use the A9 chip in their new phone next year).
or go partner with intel.
or go partner with amd so you can have one chip/ no gpu to run everything.
amd is envisioning that one day the gpu will become obsolete, and that the cpu and gpu will become one (they obviously aren't doing crap in this area).

skip quad screen resolution, it is an odd resolution.
go straight to 4k.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
how about you stop throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks, and actually do some research on what people will like.

i remember reading somewhere that samsung has more employees than google and apple combined. that is hilarious.

edwd2

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
the snap 810 will NOT be sufficient to run a quad screen (the adreno 410 part of it).
hopefully qualcomm is holding something back.

the s5 has a 2800 mAh battery...samsung will put a 3200 mAh battery in the S6 and they will call it revolutionary.

samsung needs a cpu that rivals the iphone A8 processor.
dear samsung...go partner with apple and get a A8+ chip

or go partner with amd so you can have one chip/ no gpu to run everything.

skip quad screen resolution, it is an odd resolution.
go straight to 4k.

wow, most uninformed comment i've seen in a while. guy talks about poor battery life and insufficient GPU yet tells samsung to add 4k screen and 500gb storage? did you know that you don't just randomly assemble the best hardware parts and expect to get a phone out of it. there are so many underlying tradeoffs and factors behind the design that affect the phone's final performance, size, battery life, etc. heck why don't you tell them to throw in a GTX980.

tygrus

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2005
My old Galaxy S3 needs more RAM than the 1GB because apps keep crashing in the background (<90MB free) and becomes a pocket warmer for no particular reason (WiFi & GPS turned off). I see 2GB as the bare minimum and would love the Korean S5 with 3GB RAM and better processor. I wish I could throttle low priority background processes to limit power usage. I wish I could set CPU/power/thermal limits for apps to reduce the battery burners. I don't want a 5+ inch screen (getting to close to phonepads and tablets). They should also focus on increasing the RAM bandwidth and NAND performance which would greatly improve GUI & app loads and actions. I'm hoping to hold on long enough to buy the S6 or a cheaper S5 sooner rather than later. Another die shrink is critical for delivering higher performance with lower power use. I've used a good silicone rubber case and screen protector for almost 2yrs I've had it, no damage to screen or case :)

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I'm a former GS3 and GS4 owner and a curent GS5 owner. The only changes I really care about are OIS on the camera and qHD screen. I played around with the Note 4's camera and it's so much less shaky than my S5.

The noise about metal vs. plastic is probably mostly from people who are going to buy an iPhone no matter what, so they should be ignored when designing the S6. I like swappable batteries. I like a microSD card slot. I like the weight savings of plastic. My phone is a tool, not some stupid hipster fashion accessory.

Anakha00

Honorable
May 26, 2013
soldier45, 16gb may not be enough for most users, but at least with Samsung you've always had the option to increase your storage a lot for minimal cost with a microSD card. I'm sure Apple would drop dead before they allowed you to double/triple your storage size for 20$ instead of paying their 100$ for the next higher model.

As an aside, I'm curious if the S6 will continue to support microSD cards or if they will be focusing on the same extortionary sales model as Apple does with their HDD upgrades.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Get rid of the TouchWiz crap along with other useless bloatware, then I'll reconsider.
I have a Note3 with bloat removed, and it's still slower than a dual core Moto X from last year.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I'm happy with my Note 4. Going from a S2 to note 4 was big. Hope they turn there S phones around. I have a few friends who have the S5 and they seem to like it but they also like my phone better.

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
Zero real innovating led to drop & almost bankruptcy of so called premium brands along with they premium pricing. I really can't understand how someone with that much money can't produce decent soc? Are they trying to be uncompetitive with other forms like Apple that is also mostly using other's licensable IP's?
Is whole industry so incapable to create a normal hot plug & relocking logic to drop stupid big little & add more GPU cluster's instead? Why can't Google address web related latency problems on Android? As on row Linux vs OSX thing's are opposite.
Who really need a 2K or 4K display resolution on 5" or less display? How about 48GB of triple lv vertical nand instead of 32? How about Hybrid memory cube of 4GB to bust GPU performance & save some battery juice?

Kary K

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
I'm glad they're trying to innovate, but the reason the S5 didn't do well is Samsung devices are not designed to be technologically obsolete in 12 months. If you own a S3 you have a fairly large screen and can do NFC payments, you don't need to buy a phone that was just introduced a month ago. Samsung pushes the edge of engineering, while Apple pushes the edge of marketing.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Going from a HTC One to a GS5, I can tell you honestly Samsung have zero percent chance of seeing my money again if the SPEAKER IS ON THE BACK again.

Have they never tried a HTC smartphone? The sound doesn't compare...

Chrisw_2003

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
64Bit support should have been standard on the S5. It better be on the S6/Note 5. 32GB isn't very much, 64GB should be standard as some of the apps I have are 2+ GB alone (biology apps and such) Quad Core or more CPU, GPU that can handle quad or 4K resolution and a min of 4GB of ram. I'm not big on amount of pixels if the quality is shitty, I have Note 3 and I still prefer my DSLR from 05 over it when it comes to pictures. Sleek is for trendy people who buy Ipwns, I want function as I carry it around with me everywhere I go. The ability to chose where apps are installed from the start would be nice. If they have to go to my phones storage they get uninstalled, as 4k video uses a lot of space. Lastly, battery life. Pack that thing full of mAh, sure the ultrapower saving mode is neat and all, but I burn through my note 3 battery daily and I hate it when it pops on (rooted note 3 FTW)

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Look at all the upset people downvoting a comment that is 100% based on fact.

The A57 ARM core is inferior to the Apple A7 core. I thought posters on Tom's were into analyzing processor architectures? at least, that's what I remember from all the Intel vs AMD or ATI vs Nvidia discussions.

Now when Apple is the premiere designer of 64bit ARM compatible processors, suddenly nobody wants to talk facts, and resort to useless bashing.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Not for nothing, but metal isn't that great a material for a smartphone...We've seen countless times how it dents and bends easily, not to mention the fact that wireless signals can't easily penetrate an aluminum case, leading to all sorts of reception issues.
Depends on the metal. I'd like MS to build a high-end Lumia using VaporMg like they do with the Surface. Anyway, if you have bad reception with an aluminum chassis, you've got a bad design period. It's quite possible to build a metal phone that is extremely durable without major signal issues.

With that being said, I don't really have a problem with polycarbonate phones, if they use really good quality poly. Nokia did quite well with their unibody designs. But I would personally prefer either a sturdy metal chassis (not too thin *cough*Apple*cough*) or at least significant metal accenting.

mrfi5

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
@edwd2 laughed like hell after reading these lines "heck why don't you tell them to throw in a GTX980" from your comment.just signed in to thank you for making me laugh like hell.

pills161

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Please for the love of god put a decent speakerphone and front speaker on the s6. Upgraded from S3 to S5 and both speakers are complete rubbish.

i hope they do improve on the design. and the camera.

and here's my take. i do not care much about how thin the phone is, stop the contest on who can make the thinner phone. i will trade a thicker phone with a bigger battery over those thin phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.