Samsung Wants to Use Iris Scanners in Future Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
Iris scanners have the same problem as fingerprints: how do you change your password once it gets compromised?

Fingerprints are inherently weak since we leave them on everything we touch but I imagine eyes would not require a whole lot more effort with today's 40+MP cameras unless Samsung goes out of their way to make sure their iris scanners are scanning the real live thing and not an emulated version of some sort.

G

Kevin, can I ask why you keep using that picture?
Same here. The picture is not funny and it is starting to be as annoying as junk email.

SamsChoice

Reputable
BANNED
May 28, 2014
How about making a better mobile device than just marketing BS.

Samsung has been b slapping Apple since the Galaxy S2. Dream on Otacon72!

Alert to the moderators, KRO2 is Otacon72 who is a highly abusive poster banned under dozens of accounts!

InvalidError

Titan

With the performance and feature levels of today's mid/high-end devices, marketing gimmicks is pretty much the only thing manufacturers have left to convince people who already own one to buy their otherwise only incrementally better devices nearly every year.

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
No person, not even identical twins, has the same eye.

Even your right eye itself is different from the left. Would be very hard and expensive to trick an iris scanner.

InvalidError

Titan

Depends on whether their iris scanner is sophisticated enough to tell a live iris apart from a good quality glossy print or other form of simile - many allegedly good fingerprint scanners are vulnerable to high-resolution monochrome laser print reproductions.

Personally, I would not use anything externally visible as a password substitute except for the lowest-security applications... barely more secure than a user-name without password.

Status
Not open for further replies.