Samsung: We Won't Negotiate Patent Deal With Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would they? They're getting the costs for each judgement out of Apple themselves, hahaha.

Apple has a hard time getting another provider for what they want, at least it seems that way, so Samsung has some sort of upper hand here.

That approach is kind of bad, but oh well. It's a big rats fight, guess it won't be "clean" anyway.

Cheers!

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]Is that logo supposed to be apple "eating" samsung? or is samsung taking a bite out of apple. I dont get it.[/citation]

It's just a logo.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]Is that logo supposed to be apple "eating" samsung? or is samsung taking a bite out of apple. I dont get it.[/citation]

Looks to me like Apple is being F (_) C |< E D by Samsung... ( | ) (|=====8

Apple will soon realize having lots of cash reserves doesn't make you a very competent bully in tech. Having proper patents and actually making the parts for your own gadgets gives you so much more power. Samsung making their own CPU, memory, flash storage, screen and most of the other parts gives them a huge upper hand in all of this bickering, especially long term. Apple reminds me of the bully on the playground unknowingly picking on the toughest kid...

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Look, in 3-5 years from now (5 being very optimistic) Apple will be in the Phone and Tablet business where it is in the PC business. A has been and never was.
Apple makes elitist products for a limited -ego minded- market.

Otherwise their incompatible junk will fade into history like the Apple 2c, the Lisa and what else they 'invented'.
And I am not saying this as a simple Apple hater. I have a MacBook sitting right next to me.
It has exactly ONE simple purpose; testing if changes on a client's website will work on Apple's incompatible junk. Have to get a friggin' iPad too for just that purpose.
Man, how I wish they'd just go away or start building cars instead. I am so unbelievable tired of anything with the Apple Logo (The Beatles excluded, especially as I am managing one of their sites!).

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Look, in 3-5 years from now (5 being very optimistic) Apple will be in the Phone and Tablet business where it is in the PC business. A has been and never was.[/citation]

"Never was" is a player who captured the largest slice (at times larger than all other players combined) of the market for those devices? I dont like Apple products but even I think that statement is egregious. Don't fanboy, it's bad for your teeth.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
History repeats itself.

Remember when Apple sued Microsoft and HP over Windows back in 1994?
This is much the same thing, except the defendants are different and so is the original inventing company.

History is known to repeat itself, no matter how many dollars you throw at the problem.
Apple may win a few fights here and there, but ultimately will likely lose the war again.

Remember Apple's problem? Though their devices seem (and are advertised as) "revolutionary", the underlying idea isn't actually original. Window dressing and early consolidation of other manufacturers' ideas are how Apple has always ran and made their money.

Unfortunately, this (and their reputation of a luxury device) strength guarantees an expiration date on their 'innovations'.

It hurt them with the Macintosh, and it will bite them again with iDevices.
Apple will lose, but it will take some time for that to happen.

Then something else will come out, Apple will do what it does, the concept goes mainstream, and the whole cycle repeats again.

tuffjuff

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]Why would they? They're getting the costs for each judgement out of Apple themselves, hahaha.Apple has a hard time getting another provider for what they want, at least it seems that way, so Samsung has some sort of upper hand here.That approach is kind of bad, but oh well. It's a big rats fight, guess it won't be "clean" anyway.Cheers![/citation]

Samsung would have an upper-hand, except for the part where Apple has been looking to move away form them. Now if Apple were looking to stay...

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009

that's exactly why samsumg *should* negotiate. might as well get an official, above-board contract to prevent future lawsuits while they have the leverage to get a good deal.

mstngs351

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Samsung should pay for any patents that they have/plan to infringe upon. Of course a lot of Apples patents (like rounded edges) are ridiculous and should be ignored. But for Samsung to outright ignore and snub it's nose at all patent laws sounds like the standard operating procedure of a lot of Chinese companies except that Sammy develops its stuff.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009

apple are "looking" to move away *because* samsung has the upper hand. if apple could move away, they would. for the foreseeable future, apple are stuck with samsung. this is the perfect opportunity for samsung to negotiate a patent deal to muzzle apple's lawyers.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]tuffjuff[/nom]Samsung would have an upper-hand, except for the part where Apple has been looking to move away form them. Now if Apple were looking to stay...[/citation]

And yet Apple can't as no other supplier can make the chips in the numbers they need. TMSC already said hell no to making a fab, or multiple, just be dedicated to Apple.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
People wonder why Apple takes Samsung to court. Samsung has been declining licensing agreements for years and never wants to play nice. Sure iHaters will say, "Yay, Samsung, screw Apple!" but they truly dont understand how much Samsung wants to hamstring US and other consumer electronic companies.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]tolham[/nom]apple are "looking" to move away *because* samsung has the upper hand. if apple could move away, they would. for the foreseeable future, apple are stuck with samsung. this is the perfect opportunity for samsung to negotiate a patent deal to muzzle apple's lawyers.[/citation]

Exactly. Samsung believed they could take from Apple whatever they wanted since Apple needs Samsung for its own products. Apple did put itself into this position working with a huge company that can almost do whatever it wants. Though manufacturing in Asian offers high profitability so it was a no brainer before Samsung decided to screw around.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]... so it was a no brainer before Samsung decided to screw around.[/citation]
Well, TBH, I don't mind too much if Samsung decides to be a little promiscuous as long as they continue to keep turning out the goods, at reasonable prices, to us consumers. Apple made their bed but didn't wash the sheets...now they get to sleep in it.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]People wonder why Apple takes Samsung to court. Samsung has been declining licensing agreements for years and never wants to play nice. Sure iHaters will say, "Yay, Samsung, screw Apple!" but they truly dont understand how much Samsung wants to hamstring US and other consumer electronic companies.[/citation]

Ahh, that's why the legal battle was over these licensing agreements, oh wait....

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]"Never was" is a player who captured the largest slice (at times larger than all other players combined) of the market for those devices? I dont like Apple products but even I think that statement is egregious. Don't fanboy, it's bad for your teeth.[/citation]
Samsung alone has smartphone market share twice of apple's.
And apple used to dominate it, not long ago.
Soon we'll see the same happen in tablet market.

[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]. Sure iHaters will say, "Yay, Samsung, screw Apple!" but they truly dont understand how much Samsung wants to hamstring US and other consumer electronic companies.[/citation]
LOL. That's why Samsung has already invested a few billion in a big fab plant in Texas, because they want to "hamstring" US.
Please remind me how much has Apple invested in their homeland production facilities? ...What was that?... *crickets*.
Yeah, I thought so. Looks like you're the oblivious one. Unless you're a lawyer, they're the only ones that make big bucks off Apple in the US.

Yup Samsung is putting $4 Billion into a Austin Texas chip making plant renovation. That puts them at about $13 Billion invested in Texas since 1996 according to Dow Jones Wire which happens to be the largest foreign investment Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.