Samsung: We'll "Never" License HP's webOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Because they all want money, they make money off of users of their services and they've begun to step on each other's toes. Google is directly going after Facebook with Google+, moron analysts who have no clue about technology decide that Facebook going after Android is a way to compete. If HP who makes the hardware couldn't make WebOS work, Facebook's effort to compete with Android, iOS, WP7 and soon to be Windows 8, would most definitely would result in a face-plant.

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
yep, windows rules in catering to virus, no doubt about it...

On a related topic, I hope that in all this cut throat competition, we buyers will end up with better hardware and a much better offer (+++freebees)

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]One OS to rule them all, and that will be windows 8. The world will be set right again.[/citation]

So there's gonna be a midget running around with a tablet dangling on a noose around his neck, trying SO hard NOT to use it, because someone will know & send undead wraiths to try to kill him if he does? ;-)

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
you got to give Samsung some credit for putting in lots of work on improving Bada. Whether that's a smart or dumb move, that's for future analysts to comment based on hindsight. i wonder how much work Nokia put into improving Symbian before giving up. or was it a one man's decision to dump it?

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
I saw a few years back a documentary statement by one of the founder of symbian. He said that telephone and computers will not merge. It will be separate like the palm OS and the Nokia first generation phone...

Right there I already know that they are doomed.

oneblackened

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]Does anyone on the HP BoD have the balls to try and get Leo Apotheker fired?I think he will go down as the man that destroyed HP.[/citation]
Nope, that would be our good friend Mark Hurd. Got rid of almost all the innovation the company ever had and knocked quality into the shitter.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
leo dug the hole even deeper. they need a new CEO with good ideas. Leo hasnt been in the chair long, he purchased a doomed company with a fairly unpopular os for big money. And he failed marketing and innovating it, just as Palm did. They need a CEO that does things right.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I think that HP needs to have one of the Hewlett and or Packard family members try and wrestle the company away from being a publicly held company so that it can once again have a long term plan that will allow the company to survive and thrive.

These "indoctrinated" old boy network clowns, like Leo, Mark, ect, repeatedly prove that for all the tens of millions plus perks they receive not only can they NOT keep the company alive, they actually seem designed to destroy them, HP is one of many examples you can find today. To think being rewarded to kill the goose that laid their golden egg.

Regarding the WebOS, I think HPs best angle would be to do a "mea culpa" of a huge degree and instead decide to continue to support and develop it. At least within the new PSG company.

Did you see the WSJ full page ad on Thursday ? HP trying to undo the "F.U." Leo committed earlier to the PSG employees and customers.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
That's too bad because Samsung's Bada OS isn't much better than the OS on the Samsung Sync phone. Or even the OS on those phones with a resistive touchscreen that look like a smartphone but aren't.

Archean

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Bada OS is not as bad as some make it sound so, in fact I have more troubles with android phones than any other platform I've owned. Except for the original Nexus (which was rock solid for obvious reasons) every droid I've owned/used has its own sets of stability/reliability issues. So, I'd rather see alternative OS emerge then having to rely on just one. Which took off simply because it nearly imitates iOS and is given away for free to OEMs.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
This isn't about Bada or Windows 8
The question is if HP themselves won't use WebOS on a tablet why the hell should anyone else?
49 days then can the whole project? Shows a massive vote of no confidence in their own product.

G

I believe this is all about total control of the eco system. You can't just make hardware OR just the OS, you need to control both - the way Apple is doing. Google is buying Motorola to obtain the hardware portion. Samsung has Bada, its own OS and phones. Microsoft has WP7 and I believe eventually they will take over Nokia.

Archean

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
+1 Tiger
I suspect there is high probability that in 1/2 years time Big G will start to give preference to Motorola in order to tighten its grip over Android's evolution. However, long before this happens, I think OEMs will start to look for alternatives, they wouldn't want to be in a position where they are cornered by just one player.

About Nokia, I think Microsoft probably can buy Nokia and HTC, which will put them in pretty strong position, but are they bold enough to do it/take risk is another matter.

techseven

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I am waiting for the Nokia+Microsoft bandwagon to arrive with inter-platform compatible Windows 8, I suspect I will then finally jump on the smartphone/tablet train... Microsoft did many things right, their union with Nokia just might be a genius move after all...

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]oneblackened[/nom]Nope, that would be our good friend Mark Hurd. Got rid of almost all the innovation the company ever had and knocked quality into the shitter.[/citation]

You guys are both wrong. Shareholders ruin companies. A company that makes profit isn't good enough, it must be increasing profits. They push the companies to cut corners, make things cheaper, increase profit, hasten release dates for new products (before they're ready), increase profits, fire full time staff and hire minimum wage lackies, increase profits, outsource jobs to increase profits... you get the picture.

The world would be a better place without the stock market.

Archean

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Wish I Was Wealthy[/nom]Well that suites me! I don't like Samsungs products & I don't like HP products either,also they don't like each others products.[/citation]

Even high end phones like Galaxy S, feels cheap in your hand when compared to other high offerings. Hell, Samsung's own Omnia line had much more solid material used in its construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.