Samsung Working on 7-inch Galaxy Mega Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

thdarkshadow

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
That's not a phone its a tablet with phone capabilities. I can see some people wanting it so Samsung has my blessing :) But android 4.2? What? We're on 4.4 get with the program Samsung...

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I'm a fairly small guy. I find that my GS2 fits perfectly in my hands. I really hope they have a new GS5 mini that I can finally upgrade to.

Tempname

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014
Isn't the whole android version deal a completely moot point? Can't we just install cyanogenmod and be done with it?

Also, I'll be getting my Nexus 7 next week. I got it for 160€ with shipping, brand new. It's a more powerful machine than this, and with the money I've saved, I can buy an actual phone, for 100€ or more (depending on how much they're planning to rob they're clients with this humongous beast). I don't blame people who buy this, but it's not even remotely a good deal.

Morbus

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
I'm a fairly small guy. I find that my GS2 fits perfectly in my hands. I really hope they have a new GS5 mini that I can finally upgrade to.
It's not a matter of it it fits, it's a matter of if it's usable.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
It's all about a matter of fit. If it doesn't fit in my hand, it is not usable. It can be usable from the standpoint of being able to make calls, web, photo, text, etc...but if it doesn't fit, I can't use it.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
It's all about a matter of fit. If it doesn't fit in my hand, it is not usable. It can be usable from the standpoint of being able to make calls, web, photo, text, etc...but if it doesn't fit, I can't use it.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
At the rate smartphone prices are falling, carriers should start giving people incentives to attach more than one phone to their one number/plan. I don't mean charging another $20 a month, but something reasonable. Heck, you can get a 7" 1920X1080 phone with an octo-core MTK6592 in it with 2GB of ram 16GB storage for about $220 these days.

thdarkshadow

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Most people don't know how to or want to hack their phone, like me, and don't want to deal with the instability of CM. I used CM some but there are just too many problems for devices that aren't their priority devices like a nexus or gs4. This phone/tablet won't sell enough to get official CM support so someone will just half heartedly port it and problems will arise. Even if it did get good CM support you shouldn't need to hack your brand new device to get it on a somewhat recent operating system.

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Not as bizarre an idea as it sounds initially. The same idea occurred to me when I got my first tablet. If you are someone who is never without his tablet, then why not ditch the cell phone and just carry a phone/tablet?

Only problem I can see is where to put it when you're wearing your tux? Of course I'm not likely to invited to the White House in the near future. :)

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Samsung already has this form factor since 2011. This form factor was sold elsewhere in the world but was never approved here. Look like it is simply a rebranding of an old product. But it is simply too big for most people though as few people use it compared to the smaller size models.

pills161

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
but if it doesn't fit, I can't use it.
That's what she said! haha see what I did there guys? Yeah that's funny I'm funny I'm going to go tell all my friends I was able to use that. Honestly no thanks, I just upgraded from an S3 to the S5 and the size takes getting used to (not to mention that instead of a short quick motion to hit the old menu button with my thumb on the bottom left, I now get to go on a road trip to get the soft menu on the top right)

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
The Mega is very popular in other markets where users can't afford a Tab and a phone.
Remember there are huge markets outside of the US with less discretionary income.
The larger form allows for larger batteries as well.

Morbus

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
BS. Not only is a tablet AND a phone less expensive, but markets outside the US aren't about the amount of money they can spend, but about their priorities.

And I'd say people's priorities is to get the biggest ass phone they can afford. Inside and outside the US.

Not as bizarre an idea as it sounds initially. The same idea occurred to me when I got my first tablet. If you are someone who is never without his tablet, then why not ditch the cell phone and just carry a phone/tablet?Only problem I can see is where to put it when you're wearing your tux? Of course I'm not likely to invited to the White House in the near future. :)
THIS! It is not so much that we WANT a big 6-7" phone, it is that we don't want a 5" phone plus a laptop. I would much rather have a phone that is slightly too large than a normal phone and a laptop or tablet that I have to keep tabs on because there is no way it will fit in my pocket.
Besides, modern phones with thin bezels don't feel nearly as large as older large phones. They don't weigh a lot, and a 6" device today is much the same size as the 5" devices of a year or two ago.

royalcrown

Distinguished
Get your hands upgraded :) I'm small and can still hold my note 8 in one hand like a phone...

Of course my kids say I have a "robot grip" so make sure you get robot hands ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.