[SOLVED] Samsung/Yamaha Receiver/Fios One Handshake Issue

kkothamasu

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2017
I recently purchased a Samsung QN65Q70RAFXZA and have been trying to get it to play nice with my Fios One and Yamaha RX-V579 receiver.

I have all my devices including my Fios One, Raspberry Pi with Kodi and Xbox One run through my Yamaha receiver. It was a pain in the butt to get the sound to work and to have the Samsung TV recognize my receiver but once I did that it seemed to be working fine till the next day. My TV keeps flashing between a blank screen, snow screen, green screen then briefly picture from the FIOS box and just keeps repeating. I can hear sound from the FIOS box half the time while this flashing keeps going. I thought it might have been the cable so I replaced the HDMI cable from the FIOS box to the receiver with a brand new one and things were fine for about a day and the flashing started up again.

I don't fully understand how the handshakes and all those work but I'm guessing it has something to do with it. I have HDMI control on the Yamaha turned on (only way I can get the sound to come through) and TV set to output sound through the receiver.

Thanks in advance!!!

Solution
Are you turning on all devices at the same time by using the surge protector as a "master switch"?

Determine if any of the source devices will work by itself or perhaps in combination with one of the others.

First directly between device and TV Device [HDMI out] ----- [HDMI 1] Samsung TV

then using the full path:

Device[HDMI out] ---->[HDMI Port x IN] Receiver [HDMI out] ---- [HDMI 1] Samsung TV

Also FYI:

https://www.samsung.com/sg/support/tv-audio-video/connecting-your-pc-to-samsung-tv/

Note #2.

Ralston18

Titan
Some of your devices are "Socially Distancing" themselves and refusing (as they rightfully should) to handshake.

:)

Are you able to make a simple sketch showing all the devices, the ports, and the cable connections being made between all of them?

No need for a work of art per se. Just enough neatness, clarity, and detail to understand your setup.

Do the devices share a common power circuit or are they getting power from different circuits?

Does the problem end if any one device is off and isolated from the others?

My thought is a ground loop or maybe even an intermittent short somewhere.

Seeing the big picture may prove helpful.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

kkothamasu

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2017
So I haven't tried turning off the other devices and they all are powered using a surge protector so I assume they're all on the same circuits. Here's my setup:

FIOS ONE to HDMI 1 of Receiver
RASPBERRY PI WITH KODI to HDMI 2 of Receiver
XBOX ONE to HDMI 3 of Receiver

RECEIVER HDMI OUT to HDMI 1 of TV

Thank you!

Ralston18

Titan
Are you turning on all devices at the same time by using the surge protector as a "master switch"?

Determine if any of the source devices will work by itself or perhaps in combination with one of the others.

First directly between device and TV Device [HDMI out] ----- [HDMI 1] Samsung TV

then using the full path:

Device[HDMI out] ---->[HDMI Port x IN] Receiver [HDMI out] ---- [HDMI 1] Samsung TV

Also FYI:

https://www.samsung.com/sg/support/tv-audio-video/connecting-your-pc-to-samsung-tv/

Note #2.

Solution

kkothamasu

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2017
Everything is plugged into the surge protector and I don't turn it off. I did some research and figured out that there's a dedicated HDCP 2.2 HDMI input on my receiver and once the move the FIOS cable to that one everything is working fine now. Thank you for the help!