News Samsung's 1TB 970 EVO Plus SSD Hits Lowest Price Ever

Jul 6, 2020
I actually used my Amazon Rewards credits to buy a 1TB 970 Evo Plus. 😂

I love that Amazon offers 5% back on all Amazon purchases!

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I still don't feel that the price is attractive considering that competing products offering close performance are going for a lower price. Samsung have priced themselves out of the market essentially. This correction still don't seem enough to make it enticing.

Jul 6, 2020
I still don't feel that the price is attractive considering that competing products offering close performance are going for a lower price. Samsung have priced themselves out of the market essentially. This correction still don't seem enough to make it enticing.

I think it all depends. Samsung is still a brand known for premium quality and high performance.

Are there cheaper drives out there? Of course. But Samsung SSDs have great warranties, very good quality control, and awesome software to go along with it (Samsung Magician).

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I think it all depends. Samsung is still a brand known for premium quality and high performance.
I generally recommend Samsung now, but also push WD for budget.

Back when SSDs were still trying to get traction, I only recommended Intel due to their extra capacitors that would mitigate possible corruption during sudden power loss. Intel has obviously gone in a different direction now, so gets a strong recommendation when cost is no object and performance / reliability is paramount.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020

Are there cheaper drives out there? Of course. But Samsung SSDs have great warranties, very good quality control, and awesome software to go along with it (Samsung Magician).
Samsung's strength is their vertical integration. Basically they produce every part of the SSD, while others tend to need to buy NAND, RAM and other components to produce the SSD. This supposedly gives them an advantage in making the fastest drive since they create the hardware and the firmware to support it. However looking at other SSDs around, I don't think they are that far off in terms of performance. In fact, others have caught up with Samsung in terms of being more power efficient.

Now I am not sure what is your definition of "great warranty". They after sales service is generally just a good as any of their competitors which has nothing to do with their hardware expertise.
Good quality wise, while this is true, I also did not observe any of my SSDs failing or performing subpar to my Samsung SSDs.
As to Samsung Magician being an awesome software, that's debatable. The UI looks great, but I feel its like a bloatware in my opinion. Technically, you don't need any of these sorts of software installed for your SSD to work properly. You can use it to enable/ disable some added features, but chances of using it is very slim.

JohnUSA

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
A few weeks ago I found this exact 1TB model selling at Amazon for only $129.99.
How these ridiculous prices fluctuate is unbelievable.

dmoros78v

Honorable
Oct 31, 2017
Samsung's strength is their vertical integration. Basically they produce every part of the SSD, while others tend to need to buy NAND, RAM and other components to produce the SSD. This supposedly gives them an advantage in making the fastest drive since they create the hardware and the firmware to support it. However looking at other SSDs around, I don't think they are that far off in terms of performance. In fact, others have caught up with Samsung in terms of being more power efficient.

Now I am not sure what is your definition of "great warranty". They after sales service is generally just a good as any of their competitors which has nothing to do with their hardware expertise.
Good quality wise, while this is true, I also did not observe any of my SSDs failing or performing subpar to my Samsung SSDs.
As to Samsung Magician being an awesome software, that's debatable. The UI looks great, but I feel its like a bloatware in my opinion. Technically, you don't need any of these sorts of software installed for your SSD to work properly. You can use it to enable/ disable some added features, but chances of using it is very slim.

Thing is maybe they have a reputation of building great drives that outlast their warranties?.

My First SSD was a OCZ Vertex 4, it was cheaper than the Samsung drives at the time and the review sites said good things about it, So why not?

That drive lasted me a bit over a year, it suddenly died, the PC would no longer boot with the drive attached and if connected via an external enclosure by USB it was unreadable. it simply died just like that. After that I bought a Samsung 840 Pro and to this day that drive is still the main drive of that computer, that was on 2014 so thats 6 years the drive have been working fine. Then on my second build, I never doubted and went straight to Samsung again, as reliability is highly important to me.