Samsung's 27-Inch Curved Monitor To Cost $429.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
They are trying so hard to push this curved crap. I wouldn't pay $29.99 for a gimmick. Samsung needs to get the 8K tv's out and get rid of this curved nonsense imho.
What 8k are you dreaming about ? there`s still no reasonable 4k tv out there and you dream of 8k you`re one of those guys happy that they have 1440 5" phone screen i guess.

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
Nice. I think curved monitors make much more sense than curved TVs.

Curved TVs are a bad idea most of the time because you watch it with other people, so few people, of not only one, are at the optimal sitting position to enjoy it.

Monitors are meant to be used by one person, so it being curved makes sense because that one person will always be perfectly centered in front of it.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Wow everyone here sounds so spoiled. A consumer-priced curved screen that is somewhat affordable and is able to be purchased by the common joe? Aww but it has a 1080p resolution and a 4ms response time so that makes it awful and a rip off. I feel like I'm the only person here who is generally impressed that they are able to do this.

Like really, if this thing was released before 2010 it would have been the hype.

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
They are trying so hard to push this curved crap. I wouldn't pay $29.99 for a gimmick. Samsung needs to get the 8K tv's out and get rid of this curved nonsense imho.

You should advocate for OLED man... not higher resolution... Windows scaler is crap anyway, I don't want to need to zoom in everything to be able to read comfortably.

Xivilain

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

You should advocate for OLED man... not higher resolution... Windows scaler is crap anyway, I don't want to need to zoom in everything to be able to read comfortably.

I'd rather function at 4K with my games and drop to 1080p when at the desktop. Thus avoiding any kind of scaling.

Curved could be nice. But I'll wait for 4K with HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort 1.3.

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014

I'd rather function at 4K with my games and drop to 1080p when at the desktop. Thus avoiding any kind of scaling.

What about the part about OLED in my comment? That was the main point of my comment...

TerryFawkes

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013

What about the part about OLED in my comment? That was the main point of my comment...

you seem to be unaware that in fact NHK Science & Technology Research created OLED with several options including an IGZO layer flexible options pacifically for the NHK/BBC Research used in the home for showing Super Hi-Vision aka UHD version 2, that nhk will be commercially rolling out in their part of the globe in 2016/17, the bbc are as yet silent on when they will deploy UHD-2

http://www.nhk.or.jp/strl/english/aboutstrl1/r5-3-1.htm

TerryFawkes

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013

you seem to be unaware that in fact NHK Science & Technology Research created OLED with several options including an IGZO layer flexible options pacifically for the NHK/BBC Research used in the home for showing Super Hi-Vision aka UHD version 2, that nhk will be commercially rolling out in their part of the globe in 2016/17, the bbc are as yet silent on when they will deploy UHD-2

http://www.nhk.or.jp/strl/english/aboutstrl1/r5-3-1.htm

TeamColeINC

Reputable
May 6, 2014
Why in the world are they still making 60hz monitors and saying they are for gamers? Definitely should be 120hz, especially @ 1080p....

StormyIV

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
So Samsung can make several 8-10 inch tablets with 2560x1600 resolution, but can't make a f'ing 27" curved monitor more than 1080p!

more than 1080p![/quote]

+ 1. I don't mind 1080p monitors but 430 bucks for this? No thanks. I paid 480 bucks for an ASUS 1440p IPS panel and I bet it blows this thing out of the water for just 50 bucks more

educalifa

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
If this at least had a refresh of 144hz then, and even then, maybe... If they want my money they'd better find a 1440p/144hz out that back somewhere

They couldn't eliminate bezels completely with flat screens, so... lets up the challenge with curved displays!

Anyone looking for 120+Hz at 1080p has had that option now for several years. I could never justify going from 1080p @ 120Hz to 1080p @ 60Hz and likely much more pixel response time and input lag, despite the gimmick.

Additionally, anyone shopping for a monitor with 1080p resolution, is probably looking for something much more inexpensive, while drooling over the higher resolutions. I'm really starting to feel the urge to look at 2560x1440. 4K isn't even on my radar at this point, due to price, and what I suspect is actually a downgrade in gameplay when factoring in again, that pixel response and input lag. Yes, still images would be gorgeous, but when I'm gaming, the screen is anything but still. I think anyone buying 4K today is just throwing away their money because they'll want to replace it in the near future for one with real gaming performance.

Oh yeah, so curved display at 1080p... if money's an issue, I'd recommend a cheaper display or just save for a real gaming monitor with the proper specs and at 2560x1440.

TeamColeINC

Reputable
May 6, 2014
After seeing that QNIX offers a 27" 1440p IPS panel monitor that can easily be overclocked to 120hz for $330.....Samsung, get out.

DiEZELZ

Reputable
Oct 4, 2014
60hz is perfect for console gaming because console gaming only allows 60hz.. This my dream monitor for my ps4 and fits my budget.. Don't need any higher reso since ps4 only allows 1080p.. It's like a tv with way better visuals and life like colors with its 3000.1 native contrast ratio... And it being curved hits it right on the nail to shut the deal as I'm am a solo gamer.. I've been looking for a monitor that only provides the specs that I need for console gaming. And I've finally found it. No more paying for unnecessary specs.. I believe this monitor was aim for the console gamer.. Even if it was aimed for solely console gamers I believe that it's still perfect for it,

Status
Not open for further replies.