Samsung's 55-inch OLED TV Launching This Spring

Status
Not open for further replies.

alchemy69

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
This rumour has already been denied by Samsung.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/televisions/samsung-oled-tv-coming-second-half-of-2012-not-spring-50006947/

sokangcraft

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
No way Samsung is going to market in 2012 with this Oled TV its not finished and way behind LG who and doing WOled that looks better and is easier to produce.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Still happy with my 42" inch plasma.
When I do upgrade though, I want at least 70"-80" Screen at 4K resolution at similar cost of what I paid for my plasma a few years back.

Not really care if is Oled, LCD or Plasma, but I'm certain that I will still not care about 3D.
All I care are: better resolution (4K), better blacks, faster refresh rates and Network ready
so I can hook that beauty to my NAS.

G

1920 x 1080. If it were 4k it would beyond the reach of almost everybody in terms of price.
Also I didn't realise that they had integrated cameras in tv's in the 80's that could detect body movement for tv operation - knob head.

jezus53

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
[citation][nom]smartyskirt[/nom]1920 x 1080. If it were 4k it would beyond the reach of almost everybody in terms of price.Also I didn't realise that they had integrated cameras in tv's in the 80's that could detect body movement for tv operation - knob head.[/citation]

He's talking about the book 1984 smart one.

alchemy69

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]Interesting that the rumor has been denied.Samsung has stated the price will be much less than $8,000 US and will be only slightly pricier than their best LCD sets.[/citation]

And what does that have to do with the denial of the rumour that the UK will be receiving it in the spring?

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]Alchemy69[/nom]And what does that have to do with the denial of the rumour that the UK will be receiving it in the spring?[/citation]
Hmmm. Haven't heard of putting two topics in the same post?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]maxinexus[/nom]would love to upgrade my 30" dell monitor for 32" 4K version...that would be so sweet[/citation]

considering 4k is 4000x2000 ish pixels, i would rather stick with a 2560x1600 or in my case a 1920x1200.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[The TV set] boasts an integrated camera coupled with what Samsung is calling Smart Interaction Technology. This allows users to control their TV with voice and motion control as well as face recognition.
Cool... so they want to add something that few, if any, people want that will add extra cost to an already expensive TV set.

Hopefully LG releases their WOLED without the stupid gimmickry.

elvenkieth

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I didn't buy it at the first place. Samsung can't start mass produce that soon. It's oled tv is hard to mass produce and it still has some technical things to overcome.. like lifespan of blue pixel. I'm pretty sure LG OLED TV will hit the market a lot sooner.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
@With its slim design and minimal bezel@

Which is yet another example of slavishly copying Apple's design of yet to be released Apple TV!
/facepalm

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]maxinexus[/nom]would love to upgrade my 30" dell monitor for 32" 4K version...that would be so sweet[/citation]

Ok gop ahead and blow your money it's not like you will see a diff with a screen that small. You can barely tell a diff between 720p and 1080p with a screen that size let alone 4k.

sporkimus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought when they started talking about producing OLED TVs, they were supposed to be cheaper to manufacture than LCD/LED which in turn meant the retail prices would be lower. A price range of $4-$8k doesn't exactly sound like the consumers will be saving anything.

[citation][nom]sporkimus[/nom]Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought when they started talking about producing OLED TVs, they were supposed to be cheaper to manufacture than LCD/LED which in turn meant the retail prices would be lower. A price range of $4-$8k doesn't exactly sound like the consumers will be saving anything.[/citation]

Like with any new technology the initial prices will be high due to paying for R&D and the low volume of initial production.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
I told you. Kinect is the future. It's going to replace remote controls and the keyboard and mouse. Yes, the evolutionarily disabled will still be able to use a dummy KB+M to emulate the old way. Just like windows classic mode.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]sporkimus[/nom]Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought when they started talking about producing OLED TVs, they were supposed to be cheaper to manufacture than LCD/LED which in turn meant the retail prices would be lower. A price range of $4-$8k doesn't exactly sound like the consumers will be saving anything.[/citation]Yes, you are correct in that they will be much easier to manufacture than LCDs, and probably any existing display technology. Specifically, there are at least a couple of companies that are working on a printing process that manufactures OLED sets with DuPont, in particular, having announced that they perfected a process that will print a 50" display in under 2-minutes. DuPont has also licensed that technology to a unnamed major Asian manufacturer, and is building a pilot plant in New Jersey to produce large OLED displays. As the technology matures, I think it is reasonable to assume that manufacturing costs will drop very rapidly.

As a bit of a background, when plasma and lcd sets in that size first appeared, they were on the order of $15K - $20K US. For OLED to come into the market at under $8K is truly amazing in the context of the emergence of "advanced" display technologies. Some are predicting price parity with LCD by the end of 2013 which, if it actually occurs, will also be an amazing feat as LCD / plasma took something like 10+ years to get to their current prices.

So, anyone who does not have the $$ at this time to drop on one of these, LG's, or Panasonic's announced OLED entries when they first come out, should, IMHO, wait a year. My bet is that in that year's time, the price is going to drop drastically.

IMHO, OLED is the future of display technology, and the next few years will be exciting from the display standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS