Samsung's 64-Bit Exynos In Final Stages of Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
oh no, apples AMAZING new innovation that changed the face of mobile phones "again" is already being copied, is nothing sacred, wont somebody think of the fanboys. lol

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
oh no, apples AMAZING new innovation that changed the face of mobile phones "again" is already being copied, is nothing sacred, wont somebody think of the fanboys. lol

Well, since ARM opened the gates, this was expected.
I just hope that these Exynos chips will have the LTE support needed in the US, eliminating the need for Qualcomm chips for US versions.
That being said, I would really be surprised if Qualcomm would not come out with their own 64 bit version.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
ARM released 64-bit cores late last year already. Why is this a surprise? :p

It was originally released for low-power server racks running Linux...where they actually had more than 4GB of memory. Most phones won't go over that memory limit for a while since there's no real need to :)

InvalidError

Titan

Not a big deal, all they need to do is recompile it with an ARM64 compiler and maybe swap in some optimized ARM64 libraries/algorithms.

For apps that follow Google's Android development guidelines, the rest of the code is Java so it does not really matter what the underlying OS or architecture is. Apps will use whatever instructions the Java runtime supports.

fleeb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007

Apple invented 64 bit computing that ARM specified? They should sue ARM!

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
64-bit is overated. It took what...a decade on the PC and till today, most PC apps are still 32-bits except a handfuL of server apps or high-end productivity apps.
Slapping a 64-bit cpu into a phone is not going to make existing codes runs any faster or better. In fact,64-bit apps could runs slower due to more overheads. The only true usage for 64-bit cpu is to address the > 4GB memory limit, which Android is hitting the ceiling soon.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I still fail to see what 64 bit is going to do for cell phones... This was useless in Apple's 5S and its going to be just as useless in Samsung's new phone... Its all just marketing hype.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Looking at how long ago 64-bit desktop processors hit mainstream consumers, and yet an overwhelming majority of consumer desktop software has never really ventured much from 32-bit operation, I don't expect much from 64-bit mobile platforms.

Apple was so vague about how anything on their platform benefits from the 64-bit processor. But 64 is TWICE AS MUCH as 32, so of course it's better. Curious how much Samsung will implement anything different after deploying their own 64-bit processor. My money is on "not much."

InvalidError

Titan

On Android, most apps are Java and "existing codes" are Java bytecode that get re-compiled on-the-fly to whatever the Java runtime is optimized for so, whether apps benefit from it or not depends mostly on how optimized the JRE's native recompiler, sandbox, native libraries, etc. are.

This isn't like PCs where most applications are compiled to native statically linked x86 code and require a re-compile by developers to include optimizations for new instruction sets, new libraries, etc.

dazbys

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
64bit by itself is of limited benefit for a while in these devices (limited need in memory addressing or arithmetic). However, the ARM 64 bit instruction set is about as compact as it's 32bit predecessor, and includes a lot of optimisations (more registers, better SIMD). I recall that it also includes stuff that might assist with faster JIT for Android too. So even if you're not needing the 64 bit data size, there's lots of performance to be gained (but not because of 64 bit). In fact, it's a completely new instruction set implementation, not an extension of the 32 bit arm instruction set.

Steven Tan

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
Why do people think Samsung copied Apple? Do you genuinely think they can design and, build and test this in a matter of weeks?
As has been said, ARM has had their 64-bit design for a while now. 64-bit has been in the pipelines in Samsung, Apple and probably Qualcomm and others for a while now.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
This is not a me-too, because making a new processor is not something that is done in a few weeks, let alone months.

In any case, without software support is barely better than a marketing stunt. Better get developers working ASAP.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

So you're saying Apple copied Microsoft, Linux and other UNIX OSes when they launched their 64 bit Power Mac G5?

This CPU is most likely been on the drawing board for quite some time.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008

So you're saying you have a fundamental misunderstanding about software in general. Noted.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008

It's so cute when you see one of these little fanny rants.

Status
Not open for further replies.