Samsung's Active 3D Glasses Gets Priced

Status
Not open for further replies.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I completely agree with Kevin (begin voting me down now), this technology isn't ready for mass adaptation. Maybe in it's 2nd or 3rd generation.

Maybe it's because I'm not rich. Maybe it's because I wear perscription glasses and don't want to wear contacts.

Or maybe it's because other gimmicks exist I'd rather blow my money on.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
what amazes me is that there are companies who are investing in this stupid idea! did hd do anything for tv?! absolutely not. what will making tv 3d going to do anything?

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
3d t.v. is just too expensive right now, that and the history of 3D shows it as a fad the comes and goes every few decades. So until it shows it is going to stay and the price comes down I'll pass.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
What amazes me, is that after decades of this economic tech cycle people get all up in arms about new tech being "ZOMG to high of cost!!!!" It's new tech, it's going to be expensive for a little while, then it's going to lower in price, then we'll see if it catches for a long term trend (blu-ray, VHS, DVD, x86, etc.), gets a quick dump off (HD-DVD, Beta Max, etc.), or a niche market (Beta tapes, tape backups, Apple computers [pre x86], Laser Disc, etc.)

If the shutter glasses catch on, then companies with some style will see an open market and drop a few good looking pairs. I for one was hoping the polarized 3D would win since the glasses require only your face, but it seems that's a no go.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I am a little surprised at your guys comments..

Frankly if i had the cash to burn and was in the market to get a new TV, i would be reading up on this in great detail.

If you have 3k to spend on a TV, you can throw another 500 in for glasses. For some people 3-4k is not a lot money... Unfortunately it is for me :(

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
This past year i went to an Imax show in 3D, wore the cheesy classes and all... I was blown away at how "3D" it was. It hurt my eyes for the first 15mins but after that it was amazing!

If i could have that @ home, hell yah, bring it. I really, really, really want to see boobs in 3D!

G

It's hillarious reading today's version of the folks that laughed at color television as a "fad" or a "gimmick" and are amazed that any company would invest money here.

"I personally like my tv non-3d..."

Priceless.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I swear the only reason they went with active 3D was to scam people out of $150 per set of glasses...

$3300 for a TV they should include 4 sets.

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
They are stupid if they think I'm gonna pay over 2K for HD much less 3d kuhrap and not get them stupid glasses. suky execs runnin the show will kill any good techy idea.

mactruck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I am definitely waiting until 2nd or 3rd gen 3DTV, both for lower prices and more content, but I think it will be more than just a fad for video games. I'm delaying my planned receiver upgrade until I can get HDMI 1.4 later this year, but the overpriced TV and goggles will have to wait longer than that.

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
It's new tech so the first run of it is going to be way overpriced. The companies are trying to make back some of their initial investments and get money together to push the tech further. At this point it's only people like the ones mentioned above where 4k isn't really all that much or people who feel the need to be at the leading edge of the tech curve. Give it a few generations (or like me wait for the passive that will one day hit the market) and things will start to be more reasonable.

Chris_TC

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]gekko668[/nom]Is it just me or 3D tv is just a fad?I personally like my tv non-3d and prefer not to wear the dorky 3d glass.[/citation]
3d glasses won't be dorky forever. Once there's a mass market, you can certainly order your pair of polarized 3d glasses in an Oakley frame.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]Chris_TC[/nom]3d glasses won't be dorky forever. Once there's a mass market, you can certainly order your pair of polarized 3d glasses in an Oakley frame.[/citation]
for sure, then they will cost $350! :) And the girls will have to have their $800 Prada 3d glasses.

In time there would be 3rd party cheapy glasses available I would think. Prices are only brutal for now. If the tech catches on, one day we will all get a 3D tv/glasses for $1200 or less. We will be watching 3D commercials of a new tv that dispenses "smell" and costs 3k without the "smeller" you have to wear for an extra $150.

mikewong

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
3D TV... You'll then need 3D glasses, then have a surround sound system, have a good sofa to appreciate 3d films... When will it end?

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]rockola[/nom]Personally, I'm waiting for the full immersion cortical implant, with a USB 4.0 jack in my neck.[/citation]
i laughed.

Status
Not open for further replies.