Samsung's Biggest Ever Galaxy Note to Cost $849

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Agreed. This thing is a monster, but I'm not sure what it purpose it has.

For those commenting about the alternatives, I challenge anyone to find a 12" tablet with a screen like that for anywhere close to that price.

The Surface Pro WAS on CLEARENCE for $500, but it's bulky, runs hot, and doesn't serve any real purpose. One would be better off just getting a touch notebook. It's back up to $600 now btw and inventory is likely to dry up fast.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
If the LTE one has cellular (voice) capabilities built in, it may be worth it. Then again you can purchase an LTE usb stick cheap enough these days.

As w8gaming pointed out, the Original surface is only $499 and has far superior hardware. Sadly (lol) the Surface is x86 so you are limited to every OS except Android and iOS.

guvnaguy

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
For this price it would almost make more sense to get a Surface Pro...way more functionality for a little bit more

Mike Friesen

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
My Lenovo Y580, with i7, gtx 660m, 8gb ram, and 1080p, with bluray was $899.This is $849. Yes, different markets, but one has ~$850 of components; one has a $35 chipset and whatever the screen/ battery/ ram costs. I'm guessing less than $700. (Extreme understatement)

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Obviously your paying for the largest tablet screen available and the 64gb option at that price. Its nice but I wouldn't pay that.

flaxx

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Looks to me like a bunch of scummy university students paid by Samsung are making ridiculous comments on this site. This is a rip off, plain and simple. Just as people point out, get a Lenovo with a proper processor, a Surface Pro with a utility OS, a Nexus with a fully capable android OS, or an iPad which will actually retain some of its value and sports iOS. Spending $850 on an Android device is ludicrous!

SamsungRules

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
flaxx , February 3, 2014 4:35 PMLooks to me like a bunch of scummy university students paid by Samsung are making ridiculous comments on this site. This is a rip off, plain and simple. Just as people point out, get a Lenovo with a proper processor, a Surface Pro with a utility OS, a Nexus with a fully capable android OS, or an iPad which will actually retain some of its value and sports iOS. Spending $850 on an Android device is ludicrous

otacon72 , February 3, 2014 5:12 PM Ridiculous...

You guys are beyond help!!! You are applebots true and true! This tablet blows away anything on the market including the itoy tablets. IOS is limited and closed off. No multitasking. no pen support. small and barely adequate screen. This tablet is the best the market has and destroys anything apple has for about the same price.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

It's usually not Applebots around here, as most in the Tom's crowd are sensible enough to know what Apple is and stay away from it. Otacon likes to pretend he's one, but he really just trolls. He's good too. Never responds after someone takes the bait. It's actually downright funny. My first thought was teenage. boy with an iPhone 4S, but I don't think someone like that could have such high self-control. My new guess: Known iPhone user and Full House Dad - Bob Saget.

What you have here are old dog IT guys and some gamers who rely heavily on Windows, and therefore defend it as though their lives are at stake. These guys are not blinded by religious fervor like iSheep zealots are, as they are smarter and more practical than that. Instead, they defend Microsoft to the end as a result of the old "what I know and use is best" paradigm. Even if in their hearts they know the Surface a poor value, and Windows 8 is a fail, they still argue their merits as Windows and Microsoft have been a part of their lives for so long that change is nearly unthinkable.

alfaalex101

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Agreed. This thing is a monster, but I'm not sure what it purpose it has. For those commenting about the alternatives, I challenge anyone to find a 12" tablet with a screen like that for anywhere close to that price. The Surface Pro WAS on CLEARENCE for $500, but it's bulky, runs hot, and doesn't serve any real purpose. One would be better off just getting a touch notebook. It's back up to $600 now btw and inventory is likely to dry up fast.
>Surface Pro>Windows>Has no real purposemy_sides.avi

g-unit1111

Titan

You're right, there's far more to the computing world than just Apple vs. PC, or Apple vs. Samsung, or iOS vs. Android, there's tons of systems out there for every kind of usage you can think of. And just because you like or hate something doesn't automatically mean that you're a fan of the other. I use Apple products, I have my iPod classic and my 2nd generation iPad. Nobody is forcing you to pick a particular side, but don't trash the users of the other. It's best to just ignore that type of poster that has an "us vs. them" vibe and can't stand the fact that people would buy one brand vs. the other. We get a lot of those types of posters and it's really easy to figure out their game after the first few rounds.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

Nice challenge. But there is only one 12" tablet in existence now, when Samsung release this tablet that is. So it is won by default, just saying.

We cannot even be sure this 12" tablet, being larger in size, will not weigh as much as Surface Pro, and probably just as bulky. Running cool is probably the only difference this 12" tablet will make.

Why choose a 12" Samsung tablet when 10.1" Samsung tablet is so much more cheaper? If one wants bigger storage, Surface Pro is cheap now, even though the stock will not last. Samsung seems to be experimenting with its brand appeal but 12" might just be a bit too big for tablet, might as well use a ultrabook at this size and price, or a cheaper and smaller tablet.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

As I said before, I don't know what purpose it has and I certainly wouldn't buy one. I was just responding to those who were claiming it was overpriced or that were insinuating the Surface Pro was somehow a better deal.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
People who are legally blind prefer the largest screen tablets available and speed is not an issue. The 18.4" ASUS P1801-T-B016M tablet was on sale at newegg.com after the holidays for $529 and now it is $559.99. It is the largest tablet that I know of and works well for the visually impaired.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
The ASUS Tablet is actually 18.4" in case there is an accuracy checker out there. I just edited the previous post.

gadgety

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I've got the Note 8.0 LTE and it's fabulous. A totally addictive device with APTX audio and many other features. Incorporating the Wacom technology was a stroke of genius and makes it so versatile. Great software, such as Infinite Painter, makes the whole family draw with the tablet. On the negative side is a little imprecision with the pen when moving fast towards the borders of the on screen keyboard, slowing the pace down. I can live with it. Samsung's interface is both good and bad, as in not tailorable enough.The only really BIG negative is Skype not being able to handle Bluetooth headsets. Not Samsung's fault, I assume. It would be bad on a phone but is totally pathetic on a 4G LTE tablet with an unlimited data subscription, when the tablet is too big to hold up to your ear. It would be even worse on a 12.2 inch Note Pro.

BhimaJ

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
This is a derpie device that has no more use than my $200 Moto G in my pocket. A surface pro 2 smokes this thing in every possible way for $50 more: Runs a full-fledged content creation OS with a MUCH more powerful i5 haswell and has wacom digitizer support and docking station support. This thing at $850 will sell worse than the Surface RT did.

Status
Not open for further replies.