Samsung's New SM951 M.2 SSD Can Read At 2150 MB/s, But You Can't Buy It

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the point of a SSD if you can't buy it. If you want one for a diy build or even worse if one goes out then you can never get another one again.
Don't worry, this is probably a mass production issue that will be taken care of in time. For now charge an arm and a leg for it to high-end OEMs, and then when mass production really takes off they will offer a similar (or even a more refined) product for mass markets. I would just give it 6-8 months, surely by the end of the year everyone will have similarly speced devices available for purchase.

ibmpc

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
since Asus or MSI or (othere companies) gonna buy this for their laptops they should also bundle this drive with their flagship motherboards it will make a great selling point

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
What's the point of a SSD if you can't buy it. If you want one for a diy build or even worse if one goes out then you can never get another one again.
Don't worry, this is probably a mass production issue that will be taken care of in time. For now charge an arm and a leg for it to high-end OEMs, and then when mass production really takes off they will offer a similar (or even a more refined) product for mass markets. I would just give it 6-8 months, surely by the end of the year everyone will have similarly speced devices available for purchase.
Yeah, that situation sounds about right. I was worried as well when they said "This will only be sold to OEM's!" I was going "Oh great... have one go out in a PC or laptop and you cannot replace it with something equally fast!"

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
What do they mean compared to its predecessor xp941, I have a xp941 here in x99 build and it is also pci-e 3.0 4x speed, Which is why it gets over 1000 read speeds.
The new one is not using a new bus speed it's using the same m.2 x4 running off pci-e 3.0, Just that the drive itself is way better tech.

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

Yep, it's X4 but not pcie3.0 and that's the difference. And also that the 951 is an NVME drive where as the 941 was still using AHCI. (Win 8 required for NVME mode btw..) I wouldn't say that you can't buy these, just that you can't buy it in retail packaging. Places like RamCIty and Avnet have confirmed that they will have them available. I got my 941 for right at $1/GB, so I'm sure that the 951 will be a bit higher at first release and come down to about the same eventually.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
@Brian_R170 I'm pretty sure Apple don't use replaceable SSD's, ruling them out. I'm guessing these will go to high-end gamer and workstation laptops, as it'll probably be pretty expensive the first few months.

superstition

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
"I'm pretty sure Apple don't use replaceable SSD's, ruling them out."

RAM isn't replaceable, but SSDs are, at least in the Macbook Pro as far as I know. They do use a proprietary connector as far as I recall.

JeffDC

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
Leave it to Samsung to come up with a new technology that is going to revolutionize data transfers for everything from computers to cameras. And then not sell it.

How far up their asses are their heads?

Status
Not open for further replies.