Samsung's Next Gear VR HMD Includes A Tracked Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

A press image that Samsung released for last year's Gear VR also left the strap loop out, and it's probably just to make it look nicer for the photo. Or maybe the strap connects slightly differently. Notice that there's still a notched out area behind the focus dial though.

Dosflores

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
This looks like a worthy upgrade. I don't even care about the motion controls; replacing the touchpad on the HMD with a proper controller is a huge step forward for the Gear VR platform. And it's nice not having to buy a new (brutally expensive) Galaxy S8 to benefit from it.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
They're going to have to manage to create a new Note that doesn't burst into flames to sell me a new Gear VR. A new headset is not going to solve the overheating problem when using my S6 for VR.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

yup. i suspect you're right, but there's no way to know for sure from this image.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
"We haven’t seen the new Gear VR in person yet, but the image Samsung provided suggests the company deleted the overhead strap from the previous headset. The loops for the strap on the rear and top of the headset are absent in the image--although that could be photoshop trickery. The overhead strap is one of the Gear VR’s primary advantages over the competition. It would be silly for Samsung to remove that feature."
Uh, it is the actual 2016 edition HMD they're showing in the press release. The overhead strap was removed last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.