News Samsung's PM9A1 PCIe 4.0 SSD May Be The Answer To Budget Builders' Prayers

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
If this is going into a laptop, I believe a better cooling solution is required in order for the SSD to maintain a high transfer rate and minimal throttling. As it stands, most PCI-E 4.0 SSDs require a fairly chunky heatsink to dissipate the heat generated under sustained read/ write. I have a much slower Samsung PM981 SSD that hits 82 degs easily when I run a virus scan. So I can imagine how hot this drive can be under load.

If this is going into a laptop, I believe a better cooling solution is required in order for the SSD to maintain a high transfer rate and minimal throttling. As it stands, most PCI-E 4.0 SSDs require a fairly chunky heatsink to dissipate the heat generated under sustained read/ write. I have a much slower Samsung PM981 SSD that hits 82 degs easily when I run a virus scan. So I can imagine how hot this drive can be under load.
well in laptop you can just pick thermal pad and transfer some heat to the case. in my laptop ssd is on edge of laptop and face down, so I did add thermal pads between it and both board and case.
its 970 evo and even max loaded sits at comfortable 60'ish. While usual is ~54.
in laptop you have a lot of material to transfer to and in ssd case, you don't have to worry about sustained loads, its not a torrent server, so just thermal mass is ok.

I suspect that IF the controller is a bit better than early drives at not becoming a fireball, that thing would be a blast.
Especially its price is around Crucial MX500/860 evo's 250GB ones from Amazon.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
well in laptop you can just pick thermal pad and transfer some heat to the case. in my laptop ssd is on edge of laptop and face down, so I did add thermal pads between it and both board and case.
its 970 evo and even max loaded sits at comfortable 60'ish. While usual is ~54.
in laptop you have a lot of material to transfer to and in ssd case, you don't have to worry about sustained loads, its not a torrent server, so just thermal mass is ok.

I suspect that IF the controller is a bit better than early drives at not becoming a fireball, that thing would be a blast.
Especially its price is around Crucial MX500/860 evo's 250GB ones from Amazon.
This makes sense if the base of the laptop is metal. If it is plastic, I am not sure how effective it will be. As a matter of fact, I slapped a sizeable chipset heatsink to try and cool it in an open air environment. After about a couple of minutes, the heatsink became very hot that I can't keep my finger on it for more than a couple of seconds. I suspect it will be worst for PCI-E 4.0 drives with higher transfer rates.

Reactions: Rdslw
After about a couple of minutes, the heatsink became very hot that I can't keep my finger on it for more than a couple of seconds. I suspect it will be worst for PCI-E 4.0 drives with higher transfer rates.
Yeah it is not meant to be long-running load. If laptop have plastic case, it means you still have some mass to transfer to, but sustained head dump speed is quite lower. Still same principle, share volume of mass will work for short loads. (~30 sec on plastic laptop & 50 on alu ones) is kind of my guess, based on 970 evo. it took ~20 sec to throttle without any cooling, and ~40'ish now to reach that 60 something that it tops out for me. It takes ~2 min to go back to idle temps ~37.
A short burst, with much lower sustained speed, at least in laptops.
but as price-wise its not higher, (I feel it might be even lower than 2.5GB+/s NVME3.0 options) it feels like a very nice upgrade.
You can push a ton od data though in that time.

Sep 16, 2020
In looking at an unofficial Samsung SSD Decoder, the PM9A1 is using 16-stacked 136L V-NAND.

I typed this part number into the decoder: MZVL21T0HCLR-00BL7

Apr 10, 2020
I do not understand producing 256GB SSDs. 512 is in 50 Eur range and 256 in 30 Eur range. That's literally few coffees.

Reactions: REVOLV3R