Samsung's Tizen Phone Delayed Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I can almost guarantee the delay is due to potential litigation from Google and Samsung is trying to cover all of its bases before releasing Tizen.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
If a smart phone doesn't hit the shelves at its intended date, chances are it will be topped shortly by something better. By this point, I'll be surprised if this product is released to the public in its current state.

dstarr3

Distinguished
I remember when bar phones and flip phones were the mainstream tech. Every single phone had its own operating system, and they usually all were pretty horrid. And replacing phones was a nightmare because it meant so much effort to migrate your contacts and information. Then Android came along, and everything was so unified and smooth and compatible that you could move from manufacturer to manufacturer, model to model, and the transition would be so simple, and everything would just work.

Why the hell is Samsung trying to move back to how things used to be?

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
The purpose of Tizen.....competition and user choice. Both of which are good.
Google has no cause for litigation unless they can prove Samsung has stolen something from them. Tizen, like Android, is based on Linux, which Google owns no rights to. Anyone is free to develop their own distro, including Samsung.

Perhaps, but it seems to me like it's forking simply to try and stand out.
The simple fact is that while consumer choice is good in theory, the iPhone has categorically proved consumers don't need or want choice as a mass. Fragmentation is murder - it certainly makes my job as a tech salesperson a lot harder.

"I use facebook and look at cat videos."
"Good, well, pick one and let me know, because I don't have shit to go on from that."

Seriously. People don't need choice - they need simplicity, by force if necessary. Apple learned that a while back and look how successful they've been.

sb1370

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2013
Then Android came along, and everything was so unified and smooth and compatible that you could move from manufacturer to manufacturer, model to model, and the transition would be so simple, and everything would just work.
It existed years before Android.

hannibal

Distinguished
I remember when bar phones and flip phones were the mainstream tech. Every single phone had its own operating system, and they usually all were pretty horrid. And replacing phones was a nightmare because it meant so much effort to migrate your contacts and information. Then Android came along, and everything was so unified and smooth and compatible that you could move from manufacturer to manufacturer, model to model, and the transition would be so simple, and everything would just work.

Why the hell is Samsung trying to move back to how things used to be?

Because they want more money by making own market place...
Tizen is closed market area like iPhones and Windows phones have. It could mean more money to Samsung. If they sell Tizen phones a little bit cheaper than their Android phones, the may succeed, because normal user don't need so many apps. The want to make calls, send text messages, read email, maybe have a map, take selfie pictures and visit in face book, if they are very advanced even use the calendar... And I am not talking about heave users. I am talking about people who almost could manage with normal old fashion phone.
Is it sensible to put another system in the phone market... maybe not, but if Samsung manages to get customers, it is win win situation to them.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Oh Samsung, if you had only been smart and purchased palm, or even webos on the cheap, you would have had one of the best mobile OS's ever created, with a tons of mobile patents to back it up that go back farther than googles or apples. Its a shame that palm/webOS was destroyed by HP, hate does not even cover how i feel about HP. rot in hell HP, And dont even get me started on Leo Aopotheker... "taking deep breaths"

Tony Casagrande

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
This Tizen thing has got to be working as a fairly decent marketing thing for Samsung right now. Every time they announce it or delay it they get their company name in a bunch of headlines. It would probably be much more cost effective if they didn't actually bother to develop the OS - basically they could just fabricate some development announcements and tech sites would eat it up and get you free advertising... Ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS