SandForce Demos 24-nm MLC NAND from Toshiba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toshiba America Electronic Components, Inc. (TAEC) originally introduced the 24-nm toggle-mode double data rate (DDR) NAND flash memory modules just weeks ago, ranging from 2 GB (Q1 2012) to 128 GB (Q4 2011).

could be just me but is there something wrong with the bold section. i think the quarter/year need to be switched around.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Isn't the current generation 28nm? So this is a relatively minor die shrink, correct?[/citation]
No, it's 25nm. The advance is even more minuscule than you think.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]agnickolov[/nom]No, it's 25nm. The advance is even more minuscule than you think.[/citation]

I doubt they want to push the shrinking to much and to fast with Nand, the numbers of erase cycles lowers with each round of shrinking and needs to be resolved. SSD have started to set sails for real but reliability is a major concern and shrinking it to much to quickly will lead to justifying those concerns when SSD's start to fail on larger scales.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Isn't the current generation 28nm? So this is a relatively minor die shrink, correct?[/citation]

Pretty much. We're already operating under the resolution of the wavelength of light, though I hope better lithography techniques would be more center to upcoming advances. Like the 3D gates and fins used in the upcoming Intel chips.

I doubt we'll see too much focus on lithography shrinkage over time. Maybe if IBM ever got their x-ray lithography technology off the ground, but you kind of have to use a mask the size of the item you want to make, focusing X-rays is not trivial.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
We're getting slowly into the territory, where we should start worrying about the SSD's lifetime!

24nm is very small, and perhaps, if you're lucky they will last a good 20 years, but there's no guarantee that it will!
The smaller the transistors, the easier it is to break them with power spikes, magnetic fluxes, and perhaps even mechanical shocks...

[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]We're getting slowly into the territory, where we should start worrying about the SSD's lifetime![/citation]Aren't tons of people already worried about SSD lifetimes? That's why people talk about over-provisioning. Most HDDs don't last 12 years, so I'm not too worried about 20 year lifetimes. I'm more worried about the apparent low reliability of SSDs compared to HDDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS