SandForce Intros SSD Processor Optimized for Cloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuch92

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]the cloud environment needs solid-state storage that performs at the highest levels with the greatest longevity and reliability on standard MLC flashTOTALLY disagree... the exorbitant cost of SSDs is nowhere near justified in a Cloud or Enterprise level environment right now. Unless you have a fiber connection to the cloud the speed of an SSD is useless. Until everyone has on OC line to their houses SSDs are not needed in the cloud. Just my .02..lol[/citation]
The "cloud" servers aren't going to be having one person accessing them at a time. I needs to be able to quickly retrieve data from hundreds/thousands of users. The fast random access of SSDs help this tremendously.

G

...SSD manufacturers caused the flood in Thailand? You might want to tell this to the police, since it also killed 650 people and did 45 billion dollars in damage.

Get off your high horse. The world doesn't owe you a cheap hard drive.

campb292

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
[citation][nom]nurgletheunclean[/nom]I swear I am so sick of the term "Cloud". And seriously cloud optimized ssd controllers!?!? what absolute horseshit.[/citation]

This.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
ROFL!
Optimized for "cloud"............... talk about using buzzwords on the hapless fools that don't know any better.....

Anyways.......
It appears what we have here is they are attempting to build an SSD that has increased endurance...

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]the cloud environment needs solid-state storage that performs at the highest levels with the greatest longevity and reliability on standard MLC flashTOTALLY disagree... the exorbitant cost of SSDs is nowhere near justified in a Cloud or Enterprise level environment right now. Unless you have a fiber connection to the cloud the speed of an SSD is useless. Until everyone has on OC line to their houses SSDs are not needed in the cloud. Just my .02..lol[/citation]

in the cloud or enterprise, you could have 1 person up to a few hundred accessing the same drive. the io ops are more than enough, speed, as in mbps may not be necessary for one person, but the io to handle many at once is definatly needed.

[citation][nom]Jax184[/nom]...SSD manufacturers caused the flood in Thailand? You might want to tell this to the police, since it also killed 650 people and did 45 billion dollars in damage. Get off your high horse. The world doesn't owe you a cheap hard drive.[/citation]

no but i do believe hdd manufactures owe us a BIG appoplogy, should come out, and tell us the whole sale price of every drive, so we know who is screwing us the hardest, as hdd manufactures said only a 10% increase in margins, but we are seeing 150%+ price increase.

i mean its not our fault that they all went to a flood prone area of the world, and than when a flood bigger than they thought would happen, we get screwed. i WANT AT LEAST an apology.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Jax184[/nom]...SSD manufacturers caused the flood in Thailand? You might want to tell this to the police, since it also killed 650 people and did 45 billion dollars in damage. Get off your high horse. The world doesn't owe you a cheap hard drive.[/citation]

dont know how to edit or if its possible so sorry for the quick succession

they all located in 1 country, and in a flood prone country, in effect they caused the shortage because they are short sighted

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]tuch92[/nom]The "cloud" servers aren't going to be having one person accessing them at a time. I needs to be able to quickly retrieve data from hundreds/thousands of users. The fast random access of SSDs help this tremendously.[/citation]

Correct, Web Applications benefit greatly with extremely quick read time. Write time is a different issue as typically you do not write back to the application in production use. Updates typically happen on the databases. This site more than likely uses either SSD's or high rpm SAS drives in Raid10 on their servers so that the reads are extremely fast to service the number of get's they get from people simultaneously navigating this site.

On my web servers I actually use whole page caching with the cache and temporary file folder mounting in a ram drive precisely for performance reasons. Works pretty good thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.