SanDisk and Toshiba Make World's Smallest NAND

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
How are we sure that they are really making it 19nm? We can't exactly just measure the size of the transistors ourselves. For all we know, it's 21nm, but they want to claim that they're better.

[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]How are we sure that they are really making it 19nm? We can't exactly just measure the size of the transistors ourselves. For all we know, it's 21nm, but they want to claim that they're better.[/citation]

???

Better question is, why are worried if there making 19nm transistors or not?

It not like "we've always had the ability to measure the transistors size until last year" type of things. For a very very very long time we always had to trust the mouth of the manufacture of the specs when it comes to the transistor sizes. Thats like asking same thing for intel and amd cpu's. How do we surely know that the core i7 2600k has 32nm transistors or amd Phenom ii's have 45nm in it?

Well unless you have an electron microscope, you cant.

CyberAngel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Guess if the rivals examine each others chips the best they can to see if they can improve their own chips...
Don't worry - if the numbers wre really off someone would bark loudly...

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
2nm makes very little difference to me in the scheme of things. What we WILL be able to measure is storage capacity and physical size, which is really what this is all about. Give me lots of storage in a tiny space :D

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]How are we sure that they are really making it 19nm? We can't exactly just measure the size of the transistors ourselves. For all we know, it's 21nm, but they want to claim that they're better.[/citation]
The same way you make sure how Intel's processors are based on 32nm tech. or AMD's graphics cards are based on 40nm tech.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
You guys that question about NM truthfulness should realize that there are people out there with micron-scopes that will be willing to scrape off the top of the chip to get in there and see what's going on. And it's usually the "competition" that is doing it.

Any anomalies will reach front page news fairly quickly as there will be lots of angry share holders, CEO's, and FBI guys creeping around the bushes.

YAY!!
This means higher capacity and lower priced SSD drives will be coming soon!
I think this new chip technology combined with the new sandforce controller would make for some cheap yet fast SSD drives!
Can't wait! Especially since I plan on buying a slightly used, slightly older laptop soon.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
yes as someone already said, there are plenty of people willing to find out for a fact what the transistor size is, and if its not what the companies advertise then they are certainly in a world of crap. Major false advertising.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
In other news, 32gb Micro SDHC chips for Cell phones cost less than $8 wholesale and retail for $89 dollars and they have 64gb chips that are really hard to find.

I am looking for a Droid phone with $32 of 32gb chips in it for memory because it should have 128gb of flash memory on it or 4 x 64gb flash chips in it for 256gb of internal memory.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Good, this is just one more step closer to cheaper SSD's.

I remember when my Corsair X128 cost me $550, now you can buy the same sized SSD even faster than what I have for $220 and it's only been 2 years since I got my SSD.

Prices are coming down as fast as hard drive prices we're, soon we might see some decent storage sizes at fantastic speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.