SanDisk Announces 128 GB USB Flash Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Again bad reporting from Tom's. Newegg sells 64 Gb thumb drives starting at 43$.

[citation][nom]darkenmoon97[/nom]By 2020, we may have 1TB flashdrives. But the main hard drives would be like 50TB, at the largest.[/citation]

2020? We already have 256GB USB sticks and I've heard of 512GB versions. They aren't always as fast as the USB SSDs that are more like 2.5" or 1.8" SSDs with a USB port, but they're often fairly fast and at a high capacity (and very high price).

My first USB drive was a 512KB Corsair Voyager about five years ago. More recently, I paid $60 for a 32GB USB 3.0 last year and this year $85 for a 64GB (both ADATA). As my files have increased in size, mostly due to moving up to HD home videos and FRAPS video capturing and editing on gaming, the need for larger and larger capacity USB drives has risen rapidly. I keep the 64GB on my key chain and just pop in a friend's or relative's laptop or PS3 when visiting to show videos and pictures.

But I cannot see paying three times what I paid for the 64GB just to get double capacity. The law of diminishing returns just hit a wall. But as per usual, over time, the price will surely go down. Now the question is, how much bigger can these things get while still holding true to the "thumb" size rule?

MulaTerca

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Newegg sells 12 different 128 Gb sized USB drives (from Patriot, Kingston, Lexar and Kanguru) starting at $160, plus a 256 GB model, the Kingston DataTraveler HyperX 256 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive... Am I missing something here?

gerchokas

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
And ive got a 128MB USB drive right here (larger than the one on the pic..). It even has a switch to toggle read only mode on and off - enthusiast-class hardware indeed!!

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I wouldn't buy any storage device above 16gb that is still usb 2.0. Can't live with 20down/10up mb/s... Internet is almost as fast as that already...

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]darkenmoon97[/nom]By 2020, we may have 1TB flashdrives. But the main hard drives would be like 50TB, at the largest.[/citation]

Shhh, don't tell anyone otherwise covert marketing doesn't work......... Drink Coke.

altriss

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
[citation][nom]gerchokas[/nom]And ive got a 128MB USB drive right here (larger than the one on the pic..). It even has a switch to toggle read only mode on and off - enthusiast-class hardware indeed!![/citation]
It can happened to those who bought Macbook air. The 2006 version was featured with a 80GB HDD.
Not as if it was important to notify but for office or work use 40GB of storage are often enough. So my question is what would be the need of that sized usb flash drive? if you need to transfer movies or lot of pictures External HDD (or SSD for the richest) are efficient enough no?
128GB to transfert .doc in your work is like hunting fly with a rocket launcher from my point of view.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Andy Chow[/nom]Again bad reporting from Tom's. Newegg sells 64 Gb thumb drives starting at 43$.[/citation]

i got my 64gb drive for about 70$ granted that was over 6 months ago, but its far from the price quoted above.

the highest capacity drives do take a premium cost, that i wont argue,

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Reasons big storage:

1. Bloatwares
2. HD Movies which ridiculous resolutions cannot even perceived by the human eye.
3. HD Audio with ridiculous bit rates cannot even perceived by the human ears.

unf0rgiving

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

And when that 50TB fails...oh boy...MY PRONNNN!

altriss

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]Reasons big storage:1. Bloatwares2. HD Movies which ridiculous resolutions cannot even perceived by the human eye.3. HD Audio with ridiculous bit rates cannot even perceived by the human ears.[/citation]

Thank you I feel less alone! As I have a 17" screen I don't feel the need of UHD resolution. I can understand that need if you have a 1.20m digonal wide screen, but on a computer it's quite unusual...

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
[citation][nom]Andy Chow[/nom]Again bad reporting from Tom's. Newegg sells 64 Gb thumb drives starting at 43$.[/citation]
I would touch drives like that with a 3 foot pole. That's Chinese cheap crap with a fancy name that will break down on you in a matter of months.

thezooloomaster

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Victorinox already released its flash drive/pocket knife combo sporting a 1TB capacity drive. This is nothing new. It's not as if it requires revolutionary technology to manufacture this stuff, it's just that for the moment it's too expensive to be marketed towards most consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.