SanDisk Cruzer 16GB Not working

raouf123

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Hello,
I recently bought a 16GB Sandisk Cruzer Flash Drive. Initially it worked well. Recently I copied about 7-8 GB photos on to it. The copy process got slower and slower and finally failed. Since then it is detected by my laptop(or any other machine) which takes long time. Then it shows about 8 GB used. It does not open. After a few minutes, it shows empty drive. It does not format, it rarely shows in Disk Management.
Please suggest some way to fix it.

chinaelectronicsinsider

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
The symptoms you described sound very much like the flash memory in your drive has been set at a fake capacity. Most likely you purchased fake Sandisk 16GB. You can try running the H2 burn in test to verify the quality of the flash memory. http://www.chinaelectronicsinsider.com/technical/how-test-fake-flash-memory

In terms of actually fixing it, in the event that the flash memory in your drive has been faked, you can run a low level format to revert the flash memory back to its original, "real" capacity. This can usually only be done by identifying the USB controller make and model, and then using the corresponding MP tool program. You can either take apart the drive housing to identify the marking on the USB controller chip, or run a program called ChipGenius that can identify most USB controllers. For the MP tool program, you will have to look online...

If the drive you have indeed is authentic Sandisk, then it obviously has some quality issues and should be warrantied (RMA).