News SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD Suffer Sudden Failures: WD Responds

May 20, 2023
I had to return my 2TB SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD. It stopped allowing backups after the first one, as if it was locking the device. Went with the Samsung T7 Shield instead. That 2TB SSD works just fine for about the same price ($120).

Reactions: technoob875-2

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
That's scary. The implications of having your irreplaceable data erased because of a firmware slip up. I know that's what's backups are for, but not everyone diligent backup their data. I feel sorry for those affected by this issue.

And come on people, backup your data, please!

May 21, 2023
So maybe take it off your best portable list, SMH or at least link this to it, y'all's memory ain't that short, best list was published less than three weeks ago

darobin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
WD says that it is readying a firmware fix for a frightening SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD sudden failure issue, but it only mentions ups for 4TB users.

SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD Suffer Sudden Failures: WD Responds : Read more
So, after a lengthy battle today with WD, in which they denied there was any firmware update planned, and I explained that WD was placing user data at risk due to potential failures of the 4TB drives, WD finally relented and agreed to a replacement for a brand new drive within the serial number range stated in various articles. But an online representative declined to say if WD is actually recalling portable drives in this range. This is putting customers through a pretzel machine. First they asked if any data was corrupted using the 4TB drive. Then when challenged on the reported statements about a FW update, they denied. And then they deny any recall plans when asked directly. Finally, they agreed to replace my 4TB drive, but I'll have to send them the new SD Extreme just purchased from B&H, wth a 7 day or more wait. I would be interested to know if others have had this experience.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i have a 1 tb extreme model and am wondering about it since it never really got the speeds it was supposed to.

copying from an ssd with 3.5 gb/s read speeds and it only transfers at about 50 MB/s ??? i have a spinning hdd that is faster copying from the same drive and does it at about 100 MB/s. wonder if that has anything to do with firmware issues. it has never gotten anywhere close to the 1 GB/s it is supposed to get,. (and yes it is plugged into a nice fast USB-C port. )

darobin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
So, after a lengthy battle today with WD, in which they denied there was any firmware update planned, and I explained that WD was placing user data at risk due to potential failures of the 4TB drives, WD finally relented and agreed to a replacement for a brand new drive within the serial number range stated in various articles. But an online representative declined to say if WD is actually recalling portable drives in this range. This is putting customers through a pretzel machine. First they asked if any data was corrupted using the 4TB drive. Then when challenged on the reported statements about a FW update, they denied. And then they deny any recall plans when asked directly. Finally, they agreed to replace my 4TB drive, but I'll have to send them the new SD Extreme just purchased from B&H, wth a 7 day or more wait. I would be interested to know if others have had this experience.

UPDATE: An update on this issue for readers. After sending my 4TB drive to Western Digital for warranty replacement, it's now been more than two weeks with no confirmation from WD that they received the drive. Luckily I have the USPS Tracking information, but have been getting the runaround from WD, which at the time I sent my drive to them had not confirmed / offered a firmware update for the drive. I have not engaged via chat with WD twice, and each time no satisfaction, just a chat transcript and a seemingly empty promise to respond within 2 - 3 business days. Probably the last time I will purchase anything from them.

Reactions: cyrusfox