SanDisk May Be Clearing Extreme Pro SSD Inventory Ahead Of New Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

priya mani

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
That's a great news about a new release of SanDisk Pro SSd, which gives more benefits to the people.

Geethapriya - SgbcIndia, Join our digital revolution

Olaf_Metal

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
The Ultra II is also selling low at $105 for the 480 gb. The premium for PCI drives over SATA always seemed a bit excessive to me and it seems like their would be room to sell a PCI drive at a disruptive price if a manufacturer was willing to cannibalize their sata sales. Maybe Sandisk will be the first to make that leap.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
I wouldn't expect a low cost drive coming from the Fusion-IO side. 20+ channel controllers are expensive to buy and manufacture. Its in the same class as the Intel SSD 750.

The low cost drives on the market now use 4-channel designs.

oyoy

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
Looks like Sandisk starting to shape there profiles as the pioneers in SSD prices for costumers. Because I'm happy, after the The Ultra II 960GB $200, I'm happy, clap along if you feel like that's what you wanna do... :)

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Could care less. SanDisk has done some pretty nasty crap to their customers.
Yeah well on the other hand i still have a generation 2 sandisk ssd which got the trim option through firmware (imagine how old :) ) and is still kicking fine ^^

JonDol

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
Hi there, You meant CES 2016 not 2015 did you? Would be also nice to see if it could be considered for the next system builder marathon...

Regards

The Preying Mantis

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
Is true. Went to Best Buy to buy a SSD and was super surprised to find a 240gb Sandisk SSD for around $60 compared to a 250gb Samsung SSD for almost double. No brainer purchase, especially for the project I'm using it for.

Jeffrey H

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
Well currently I have 2 SanDisk SSDs at the moment, I would not mind for a third if I had to Free some more Data from my other SSD, and probably have Future Expansion for Another OS if pending on how big I can get it, besides it would Free up my other SSD which is of the "Extreme Series" the first one, I think this is something I am willing to go for.

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Sandisk may be anticipating a rapid narrowing of the market for hard drive replacement SSDs as new machines ship with M.2 drives, especially the PCIe variety. (Just did a build with the Samsung and it's surprising to note all the places it improves performance that weren't obviously being held back by write performance.)

I'm also expecting a new category of SSD product to enter the market: native USB 3.1 drives. A USB 3.1 to SATA Express bridge would serve this purpose but is anyone going to bother making SATA Express drives? At this point it seems like more trouble than its worth compared to making a native USB 3.1 flash controller.

Jeffrey H

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014

Well I know I have up to 6 SATA Connectors on my montherboard so I am ready to go for a third Drive, of course going to head myself up on the space hoping to Move some of my Partitions over, in turn, put my 120 SanDisk Extreme Drive for my OS mainly, and keeping room for a Future OS on the third drive.

janoleolsen

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Samsung NVME disk at 2GB/second via M2 interface is pretty good.

As majority of Skylake motherboards support this, maybe Sandisk is considering something similar.

Tried this on an ASRock Z170 Pro4S, and boot time prior to operating system is very slow - the socalled Ultra Fast boot mode fails. Not sure why, 10-year old ASRock board with a SATA SSD is 2 seconds pre-boot, while the NVME setup takes 13 seconds pre-boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.