SanDisk Optimus Eco SSD: A SAS Interface And Up To 2 TB Of Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

tripleX

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
When aming this statement, did you take Littles Law into consideration:
Every single one-second average falls between 28,500 and 38,000 IOPS (0.84 and 1.12 ms)

jkrui01

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
toms, your are full of sh*t , consider this as my last read on your site, why not put the samsung pro in the article? because it would win, cheaper and faster.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
7 watts active power consumption? With the word 'Eco' on the front? Ummm huh? Non-eco SSDs only take maybe 3.5w at full tilt and less than 2w when idle, often around 1w or less

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

The Samsung Pro is not an enterprise drive. They were comparing Intel's enterprise drive vs Sandisk's.

robert3892

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
4000 dollars for a 2TB drive? Even in the enterprise I see very few companies rolling out cash for something like this when a mechanical enterprise style hard drive can be bought for far less.

drewriley

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

Many consumer SATA drives are a lot less, but enterprise drives aren't always quite that low. The S3700, at 800GB, is 6W typical and 8W burst. The Eco isn't quite as 'eco' at 400GB, but for 2TB, is actually pretty good. Many of the PCIe add-in SSDs that provide better performance at the same capacity are at least 10-15W and sometimes 25W. There aren't a lot of 6Gbps SAS SSD comparisons, now that 12Gbps drives are out, but even the Toshiba MK line is rated at 6.5W. We plan on doing more power consumption testing in the future.

drewriley

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

As was said earlier, the Samsung 840 products are not enterprise class. They do not provide the endurance or power loss protection. They could possibly be used in workstations, but not beyond that. Samsung does offer the 843T, but that product is more in line with the Intel S3500 and does not have the random write performance to come close to the Eco. The 843T is also much more expensive than the 840 series.

drewriley

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

When comparing to HDD, there isn't a single SSD that will come close on price, enterprise or not. On the flip side, there isn't a single HDD that can come close on performance either. In order to get that much flash storage, you were previously limited to multiple SSDs or PCIe add-in cards, the Eco allows you to have that capacity in a smaller form-factor while drawing less power. Considering the $/GB, which is in line for it's class, it makes sense since there are plenty of enterprise customers buying 800GB drives, at least enough that companies keep producing them.

drewriley

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

No, we didn't, but can you be a little more clear with your question? I am not an expert in the area, but the law, as it applies to performance testing, is valid if the number of jobs in the system is equal to those being completed. Meaning that no new jobs are created in the system and no jobs are lost forever. So, if jobs were being lost, you might see consistent performance centered around the bottleneck, which is not the device under test. Since the system is artificially creating and tracking IOs, I don't believe any are being lost or accidentally created. Also, with our Enterprise Video testing, which I wrote to test a specific use-case, the data is generated and validated as it is written, so there is no chance of data loss. If that doesn't answer your question, please let me know, I am always interested in new subjects....

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
This to me seems like good progress. Although I haven't had use for enterprise class hardware since SCSI drives, I find these developments interesting as some advances can trickle down to the consumer market if it becomes beneficial.

glpdx

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I'll word the question nicely then. Can someone show me why this drive is worth 5x the cost of an 840pro, extreme 2, or even an Evo? Put any of those in a RAID 10 with the same question. They hold back one or two inexpensive features for enterprise products to keep their 10x margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.