SanDisk Releases Hybrid iNAND 7132 For Mobile Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

zahoome

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
"iNAND 7132 can handle 24x7 use for 10 years, which is much longer than anyone will continue to use a mobile phone or tablet."
People are still using classic, indestructible Nokias, like the 3310 from 2000. That's 15 years and counting. Both my brother-in-law and mother-in-law had one that they were using until only a couple years ago. Granted, these phones aren't in constant use 24x7, but you can't claim 10 year old hardware isn't still used. That's very abundantly clear with computer hardware and it'll be true for mobile. Maybe not to the same extent, but still true.

zahoome

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Google is your friend:
"SanDisk Corporation today announced it has begun customer sampling of flash memory products based on its industry-leading 1Ynm process technology, which represents its second generation 19 nanometer (nm) manufacturing technology."

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
It would be nice if someone implemented a TLC-SLC fallback. Cells that are too worn to be used in TLC mode can dynamically switch to SLC mode so you will increase endurance at the expense of capacity in a very gradual way.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015
I actually asked if that is possible in a call with a different manufacturer, They explained that the switch has to be made early in the life cycle of the NAND cell, usually within the first few hundred P/E cycles. After that, any damage to the cell is done and is irreversible, so switching to SLC mode wouldn't help. I thought that rather odd, theoretically the SLC mode would not stress the cell as much as using it as TLC. But for now, it isn't possible that I am aware of.

Nuckles_56

Admirable

Cheers, I was wondering if it was a typo or an actual process

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

Cheers, I was wondering if it was a typo or an actual process

"1Y" is their way of saying "we're sub 20nm, but not as much as the 14nm people, and we don't want to admit it openly."

Status
Not open for further replies.