Question SanDisk SSD randomly disappears from system until I unplug/re-plug its power cable ?

EricTetz

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
I have this guy's problem, exactly. My SSD randomly disappears from the system and doesn't show up on a reboot. Since that drive has my boot loader, rebooting takes me to the BIOS.

I turn the computer off, unplug the power cable to the SSD, and plug it right back in. When I power on the machine, the drive is back and I'm good for a while (minutes or hours; impossible to predict).

He fixed *his* issue by updating the SSD's firmware. However, my drive (SDSSDA240G) is on the latest available firmware (Z32080RL). I've updated my motherboard BIOS as well.

So now what? Is there something else I can check?

If not, is there a utility that can transfer the contents of this drive to a new drive (assuming it stays up long enough)?

It has my boot loader on it, so I can't even get into my other Windows partition when this drive goes out. At the very least, I need to transfer the boot loader from the flakey drive to my stable drive. Anybody have a tip for that?

Windows 10 Pro (build 19045)
ASUS TUF Z270 Mark2 (BIOS v1301)
Full system info.

Last edited:
I have this guy's problem, exactly. My SSD randomly disappears from the system and doesn't show up on a reboot. Since that drive has my boot loader, rebooting takes me to the BIOS.

I turn the computer off, unplug the power cable to the SSD, and plug it right back in. When I power on the machine, the drive is back and I'm good for a while (minutes or hours; impossible to predict).

He fixed *his* issue by updating the SSD's firmware. However, my drive (SDSSDA240G) is on the latest available firmware (Z32080RL). I've updated my motherboard BIOS as well.

So now what? Is there something else I can check?

If not, is there a utility that can transfer the contents of this drive to a new drive (assuming it stays up long enough)?

It has my boot loader on it, so I can't even get into my other Windows partition when this drive goes out. At the very least, I need to transfer the boot loader from the flakey drive to my stable drive. Anybody have a tip for that?

Windows 10 Pro (build 19045)
ASUS TUF Z270 Mark2 (BIOS v1301)
Full system info.
Try a different power cable.....test.
Try a different data cable.....test.
Try a different mobo sata port.....test.

EricTetz

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
Try a different power cable.....test.
Try a different data cable.....test.
Try a different mobo sata port.....test.
I did all of the above two years ago.

I've basically just put it up with it until now, because I spend most of my time on my DAW Windows. But I'm writing some code now, would like my dev Windows, which is on this drive.

Any tips on moving the boot loader?