Sandisk USB 3.0 copys at 10mb/s

Status
Not open for further replies.

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018
I recently bought a Dell Precision Tower T5810, 1X3.0 port in the front and 3X3.0 ports in the back, when I plug my Sandisk 3.0 flash drive in any of the 3.0 port, the flash drive copies to my SSD at 10mb/s, and same when copying from flash to HDD, I tried uninstalling the usb drivers and restarting my pc (when I uninstalled the usb drivers the mouse and keyboard didnt work til I restarted), the strangest part is... I have a game for example "gta.rar" in my flash drive, I copy just "gta.rar" to my SSD, 10mb/s, BUT when I open "gta.rar" (from flash drive) using 7-Zip and I drag and drop the contents of "gta.rar" to my desktop (SSD) (using 7-Zip to drag and drop) and it copys at 400 or so mb/s, it ony works when I drag and drop contents of rar files, but if I use 7-Zip to just drag and drop the rar without opening it, it copys at 10mb/s, I dont understand. I tried to provide as much info as possible about the situation.

Windows 10 x64
1 X SATA SSD 256GB (Windows OS)
1 X SATA HDD 1TB
E5 1620 3.5 GHZ
Quadro K2200 4GB
16GB Memory
any help would be apreciated, Thanks

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018
No, I copied from the flash drive to local disk, im sure its not the flash drives fault, since at school they have the same computer as me T5810, just, the school has Windows 7 rather than 10 and at school my flash drive copied to the HDD at 400mb/s on the same 3.0 port

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018
Im starting to think its because of windows 10, some people report having the same problem after upgrading from 7 to 10, I didnt upgrade though, originally came with 10, so Im not sure.

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018
Im not 100% sure its a 3.0 drive, but still, I searched and they come in 2.0 speeds, thats 400mb/s so maybe its a 2.0 flash drive, but it copies at 10mb/s I just want it to be faster that 10mb, I know it can.

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018

But at school it literally copied at 400mb/s, and I didnt use 7-Zip I just dragged and dropped "gta.rar", but at home when I drag and drop: 10mb/s

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
My best guess as to why it may have much faster speed when copying the files out of the .rar file is that the files are being loaded from the USB drive while still compressed (and therefore smaller), decompressed by your PC, and then written to the local drive uncompressed, meaning that the write speed of the copy would be potentially a lot higher than the read speed. Maybe windows just reports the write speed in the file transfer windows. I have no idea if that's how it works, just speculating.

Is the total time to complete the operation actually different when copying all the files out of the archive compared to just copying the archive?

USAFRet

Titan

Not from a USB flash drive.
That's about twice as fast as an HDD, and near internal SATA III SSD speed.

USAFRet

Titan

Please give us details of "it".
File size, 1 rar file or thousands, unzipping, from what drive to what other drive.

As much detail as you can muster.

MB or mb?
Screencaps if you can muster that.

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018
Im very sorry I didnt fulfill my "promise" about screenshots, its not that I dont care, its that I forgot, VERY SORRY, although I did switch to Windows 7 X64 and the speeds are much more faster, about 100mb/s

svanos49

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
I'm having SAME issues with multiple laptops (Win10 and Win11). I'm using Microcenter 3.1 64gb sticks for $3.50 each. Every once in a while, one will run faster than 3mb/s and I'll get around 12-15mb/sec. This is after making all known tweaks. Copying 500kb .mk4 files from internal SSD to USB SS port.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm having SAME issues with multiple laptops (Win10 and Win11). I'm using Microcenter 3.1 64gb sticks for $3.50 each. Every once in a while, one will run faster than 3mb/s and I'll get around 12-15mb/sec. This is after making all known tweaks. Copying 500kb .mk4 files from internal SSD to USB SS port.
Please start a NEW thread for your particular situation.
This one is 5 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.