Sandisk USB 3.0 Speeds when transferring to and from

iAserty

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
Greetings,

I was transferring some files to my new USB Flash Drive and saw that the speeds were only about 15-20MB/s but when I copied them from the Flash Drive back to the computer the speeds were so fast, about 100+MB/s. Is that normal for a USB 3.0 Flash Drive? Or am I doing something wrong, I was expecting them to perform on about USB 3.0 speeds on both scenarios.

Solution
The advertised speed of these devices has always been debatable. Nevertheless there will be a significant difference between read and write speeds , the former performing at a higher rate.

Transferring files to a drive will display the drive's write speed , transferring from, its read speed.Otherwise I have no idea.
The advertised speed of these devices has always been debatable. Nevertheless there will be a significant difference between read and write speeds , the former performing at a higher rate.

Transferring files to a drive will display the drive's write speed , transferring from, its read speed.Otherwise I have no idea.

Solution

iAserty

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016

Dammit, just read its packaging, it did say in fine print that its read speed from drive to computer is 150MB/s and write speeds are lower and may vary. Is this how all thumb drives usually work? This is the first time I actually bought a USB 3.0 thumb drive actually and didn't even think about it. I just assumed automatically that it would have USB 3.0 speeds in both read/write.