Question Sandy Bridge-E and PCIe 3.0 with NVIDIA

Oct 10, 2020
Hello.

I have an i7-3930k on a Gigabyte X79-UD3, and I'd like to upgrade my Quadro 2000D (PCIe 2.0) to a GeForce RTX 2060 (PCIe 3.0) for better performance in Adobe.

I found a post by ubercake that mentions "the NVIDIA X79 patch" to enable PCIe 3.0 on SB-E with NVIDIA cards. I think/hope I found the patch, "force-enable-gen3.exe", on their site.

Can anyone tell me if this combination will yield PCIe 3.0 performance? The Gigabyte board is supposed to support it, but CPU-Z lists the interface version only as PCI-E, with no number.

Thanks,
Nick

Oct 10, 2020
Thanks, Phillip.

I'm aware the board is supposed to support PCIe 3, but they also claimed 6x SATA3 ports and that wasn't quite true. Call me a skeptic. Also, it's not just about the motherboard. The question is whether that combination of a very old motherboard and CPU - combined with a very new GPU using an unofficial patch - would give PCIe 3 performance. I doubt many people have been down that rabbit hole. There's also some old, conflicting information about whether SB-E even supported PCIe-3. I think there's enough anecdotal evidence to show that it does, particularly ubercake's post, but even today Intel's spec page for i7-3930k says it supports PCIe 2.0. That's what lead me on this quest.

Thanks,
Nick