Sandy Bridge-E Coming November to a Store Near You

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmg5217

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Is it worth anything more than a I7-2600K ?[/citation]

Most likely..... No.

G

Don't know if I should look into getting one of these or wait for Ivy Bridge...

captainnemojr

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Is it worth anything more than a I7-2600K ?[/citation]

You can do 16x 16x on sli instead of 8x 8x seems like the only real difference, but then you lose the unlocked feature unless you want to pay $300 more.

Hard to put a real value on stuff like this... regardless of the msrp... that just makes it harder. It's probably a good investment for people who want the max bandwidth out of their 3 or 4 gpu's (despite the issues) and want that to run their 3 x 2560x1600 monitors.

That's not me. I'm confident my SB can do 5ghz and the cards are x16 x8 or x8,x16,x16 if there were a third. I can't fathom needing more for gaming.

I bet it all is really fun to play with though. I think this will be out before desktop bulldozers. Either will get the job done and your biggest concern might just be price and color scheme lol... again, for gaming.

$583 (Core i7-3930K) and $294 (Core i7-3820

Is it worth anything more than a I7-2600K ?

Yes for the i7-3930K since it is has 6 cores and will have much greater memory bandwidth. Im assuming this will be a hit for CAD / Photoshop folks.

The Core i7-3820 seems like a total waste of money because it is essentially a 2600K. Except it inst fully unlocked but it does have quad channel memory controller which Im assuming wont mean squat on a quad core.

Very limited market for these E series chips unlike the 1366 chips they are replacing because of the great performance the 2500K and the 2600K already provide.

Does anyone get the feeling Intel has been waiting to get its hands on Bulldozer parts so they could make sure these E parts would out perform them? We all know Intel has headroom to crank the speed up if needed.

[citation][nom]JamesSneed[/nom]Yes for the i7-3930K since it is has 6 cores and will have much greater memory bandwidth. Im assuming this will be a hit for CAD / Photoshop folks.The Core i7-3820 seems like a total waste of money because it is essentially a 2600K. Except it inst fully unlocked but it does have quad channel memory controller which Im assuming wont mean squat on a quad core.Very limited market for these E series chips unlike the 1366 chips they are replacing because of the great performance the 2500K and the 2600K already provide. Does anyone get the feeling Intel has been waiting to get its hands on Bulldozer parts so they could make sure these E parts would out perform them? We all know Intel has headroom to crank the speed up if needed.[/citation]

I skipped 1366 completely. I haven't read up on it entirely either. How much did triple channel improve over dual? How much better is quad expected to be over triple or dual? Is it marketing hype or is there any real benefit? I don't know....

G

Well... the reason I am considering going with the SBE chips isn't actually the processors themselves but the motherboard. LGA2011 supports ivy bridge and triple channle memory.

Currently you have to go lga 1366 to get triple channel ram but then you cant get sandy bridge. Or you can go LGA775 and get core i7-2600k with dual channel ram.

basically my strategy is to wait for lga 2011, get the quad core proc, lots of ram and then pull the trigger once ivy bridge drops.

Well... the reason I am considering going with the SBE chips isn't actually the processors themselves but the motherboard. LGA2011 supports ivy bridge and quad channle memory.

Currently you have to go lga 1366 to get triple channel ram but then you cant get sandy bridge. Or you can go LGA1155 and get core i7-2600k with dual channel ram.

basically my strategy is to wait for lga 2011, get the quad core proc, lots of ram and then pull the trigger once ivy bridge drops.

there ya go, u were in a rush of excitement

There will be more chips for 1155 eventually too... we'll have to see if they bring anything new and pertinent to the table... doubtful. I think the 2600k is plenty for the next 5 years (for me).

Well... the reason I am considering going with the SBE chips isn't actually the processors themselves but the motherboard. LGA2011 supports ivy bridge and triple channle memory.

Currently you have to go lga 1366 to get triple channel ram but then you cant get sandy bridge. Or you can go LGA775 and get core i7-2600k with dual channel ram.

The SBE chips support quad channel memory not triple channel. Also the 1155 socket will be used for Ivy Bridge as well. So you don't necessarily have to use these E series to future proof.

christop

Distinguished
Intel is shooting them selves in the foot by not unlocking the Core i7-3820. Why bother with this chip when you can get a 2600k for the same price and its unlocked.

On the quad core Im expecting very little to no gain for 99% of use cases. The 6 core chips could see some decent improvements if say they easily saturate more bandwidth than what dual channel memory could provide. I guess we wait for tests but I wouldn't hold my breath on the quad core part. In either case gamers should not care one bit as it has been proven memory bandwidth on SB chips matters very little for frame rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS