Sandy Bridge Laptops Start to Show Their Faces

Status
Not open for further replies.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
All we need is one holiday leak benchmark and I'll be a happy camper waiting until January :). Preferably a desktop benchie of course.

Bulldozer = Desktop.

AMD is taking a more power saving approach with Llano and I think Ontario. Both of which are CPU/IGPUs. Saves a lot more power, but we'll see if SB saves power like Llano and Ontario. Oh, those are out already in benches if ya didn't know.

Correct if I'm wrong though, I don't really mind Laptop stuff.

oz73942

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Ahhhhh.....one step closer to the dream machine :).....sandybridge + 580m + optimus = BA gaming laptop, + 3-4 hours of normal use. so close yet so far away.

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Bulldozer if it ever comes out doesn't have a chance against Sandy Bridge.[/citation]

Pretty bold statement considering we know very little about it.

brennon7

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Laptops are a thing of the past. Tablets and powerful desktops are the future!!!!!!!! Love my i7 custom built by me desktop and my ipad. Converted my dell laptop to a desktop (for the wife) by attaching a 24 inch monitor. Ipad controls my desktop through splashtop.... ipad controls dvr through dish remote access..htc evo does it all...LOL

dertechie

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Am I the only one noticing a Sandy Bridge CPU paired with an HM55 (current gen) mainboard? Not just a leak, but a half-baked leak at that.

I'm glad the Sandy Bridges are getting called i5's & i7's--that way my Nehalem doesn't sound obsolete. Although I don't expect Sandy Bridge or Bulldozer to kick my i7-930's butt too badly--at least for the $600 I built it for.

I do really want to see some more top-of-the-line benchmarks though.

[citation][nom]aznshinobi[/nom]Bulldozer = Desktop.AMD is taking a more power saving approach with Llano and I think Ontario. Both of which are CPU/IGPUs. Saves a lot more power, but we'll see if SB saves power like Llano and Ontario. Oh, those are out already in benches if ya didn't know.Correct if I'm wrong though, I don't really mind Laptop stuff.[/citation]

SB also has a GPU on die. If the laptop has a discrete GPU then it will probably use SBs GPU for 2D and the discrete GPU for 3D.

I am pretty sure that SB will lower power usage compared to Nehalem and Westmere. It will be produced on the most optimal to date 32nm that Intel has until 22nm arrives in 2011.

As for the HM55 chipset, there is no news on the socket and the chipset itself has near no bearing on a CPU and mobo compatability these days since everything is pretty much on die including the PCIe controller. I would guess its either 1. a typo, 2. SB mobile might use the same socket as Arrandale (PGA-988) or its a new socket but can still use HM55.

We might have a bit to wait since I can't find any info on the mobile SB socket.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
why the hell are you people getting happy about warmed over graphics parts? Look up the specifications of the HD 6500M series and compare it to that of the 5600/5700 series...

It stinks of rebrand, or at least very minor tweaks...

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[citation][nom]brennon7[/nom]Laptops are a thing of the past. Tablets and powerful desktops are the future!!!!!!!! Love my i7 custom built by me desktop and my ipad. Converted my dell laptop to a desktop (for the wife) by attaching a 24 inch monitor. Ipad controls my desktop through splashtop.... ipad controls dvr through dish remote access..htc evo does it all...LOL[/citation]
So you attached a 24" monitor to a laptop and renamed it into a desktop? I don't understand the logic, but whatever floats your tablet.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]Dirtman73[/nom]How...underwhelming. This whole Sandy Bridge thing has been a bad case of style over substance so far. Color me unimpressed.[/citation]
Transition of to full 32nm with the associated power savings and a 10% increase performance per clock (per Anandtech) is progress. With no reputable leaked Bulldozer benchmarks so far, it's not like Intel has been particularly coy about Sandy Bridge's performance.

[citation][nom]brennon7[/nom]Laptops are a thing of the past. Tablets and powerful desktops are the future!!!!!!!![/citation]Not everyone would agree with you.
US Personal Computer Consumer Market in 2015
http://dataplusinsight.com/general/the-us-personal-computer-consumer-market-in-2015/

G

Why are all Sandy Bridge laptops coming with ATI graphics? I thought Sandy has its own on-chip graphics processor?

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Stardude82[/nom]Transition of to full 32nm with the associated power savings and a 10% increase performance per clock (per Anandtech) is progress. With no reputable leaked Bulldozer benchmarks so far, it's not like Intel has been particularly coy about Sandy Bridge's performance.[/citation]

Meh, I suppose I'll wait for actual post-release tests before I make a real judgment. Intel has been touting SB as the next technological coming of Christ, and so far this hasn't been the case. Not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS