Sandy Bridge Memory

Tbone_18

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
16Gb set or 2-8Gb sets.
I want to put 16 Gb of corsair memory in a Asus sandy bridge set up. the 16Gb set is never on sale, but the 8Gb set often is. Is buying two 8Gb sets any different than a 16Gb set. Both are 4Gb sticks. thanks for any help

Solution
On occasion, you might get a kit that isn't compatible or that has one defective stick. The vast majority of the time however, two 8GB kits will work together with no muss and no fuss. Make sure you get 1.5v spec RAM like Corsair's Vengeance kits.
On occasion, you might get a kit that isn't compatible or that has one defective stick. The vast majority of the time however, two 8GB kits will work together with no muss and no fuss. Make sure you get 1.5v spec RAM like Corsair's Vengeance kits.

Solution

corleone11

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011

Out of curiosity, is there a reason why the RAM voltage needs to 1.5 :??:
I ask because im trying to get myself clued up on RAM as much as possible :)

corleone11

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011

Okay, thanks for clearing that up :) .
Quick question, if i wanted 12GB in dual channel (x2 4GB sticks and x2 2GB sticks all with same speed, latency, volts etc.) would there be any implications in this setup, or would it be okay?

Mixing Size is not the worry, Mixing ANYTHING ELSE is the problem. If both SETS have identical CAS Timings e.g. 9-9-9-24-2T then you'll in theory be okay; edit yeah duh too the Frequency, CAS, voltage, brand, IC's...

The P67 seems to be REALLY PICKY when mixing even the SAME sets which is why I linked what I did above, I know they work ;)

corleone11

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011

Thanks for your advice. I installed 12GB of RAM all with the same specs on my P67 mobo and everythings fine :D