Sandy Bridge not compatible with 1.65V memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

regularguy290

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
i built this system a couple months ago using the i5 2500K and 8GB of Kingston HyperX ram running at 1600Mhz and 1.65V

i didn't do an extraordinary amount of research before this build, i was just really anxious to upgrade from an old Core2Duo. so i picked up some memory from a brand i knew i could trust (Kingston), and i knew that 1600Mhz was faster and the cheaper modules at the time were 1.65V so that's what i got.

now here i am browsing some of Tom's forum threads and finding out that 1600Mhz ram voids the warranty. o well, i'm not really concerned with intel's reliability.

but here is my real question: why is 1.65V bad for sandy bridge? i haven't really come across a real answer. i am running it now with no problems at all. am i causing some long term damage?

other build info (in no real order at all):
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-M Pro
power supply: Seasonic M12II 520
graphics card: Power Color Radeon HD6850
case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion
CPU cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7

1.65v is fine. DDR3 is JDEC speced at 1.5-1.65v. The best is 1.5v but it wont hurt your CPU at all.

If you ever can, you can grab some Corsair Vengance which is DDR3 1600MHz 1.5v.

That or try your RAM at 1.5v, maybe loosen the timings a bit if its not stable. Still best would be grabbing 1.5v DDR3.

Yep those are under 27mm tall and a good choice.

Yea they are the same thing as the normal Vengance, same timings and voltage and speed. Just LP which means they will fit for what you need. I considered them until I found my Zalman 9900Max didn't push to the memory slots.

regularguy290

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
thanks for the help. next paycheck i will pick up some different ram, better safe than sorry. the memory i have now will be saved for a later build. i'm planning an AMD APU build for my brother, that will make it slightly cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.