Sandy-bridge, or Ivy-bridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robnof

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
I've just recently purchased an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 mobo. I've already decided on an i5, because an i7 is overkill for what I would use this rig for.

I do plan to overclock, so it's going to be a K series processor. My issue is whether to get a 2500k or a 3570k cpu. I know ivy bridge has improved IPC over sandy bridge, but which one overclocks better and which is the better value?

Solution
sandy overclocks higher, ivy is 5-10% faster clock for clock, i've got mine easily to 4.3 maxing at 60-65C, so in sandy terms 4.5-4.8, which I would suggest is on the edge of what is regularly achievable.

Ivy memory OC's better too.

with ivy you'll pci-e 3 as well, which may be useful for your next card beyond the nvidia 6XX and amd 7XXX's .

NoUserBar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I think 2500k does. I've read things about the Ivy's cpu having bad overhead for overclocking. Because of how they put the tim on. And the limitations of 22nm. (something to do with thermal past on the inside of the cpu?)

But 3570k is probably the better cpu anyway.

sandy overclocks higher, ivy is 5-10% faster clock for clock, i've got mine easily to 4.3 maxing at 60-65C, so in sandy terms 4.5-4.8, which I would suggest is on the edge of what is regularly achievable.

Ivy memory OC's better too.

with ivy you'll pci-e 3 as well, which may be useful for your next card beyond the nvidia 6XX and amd 7XXX's .

Solution

robnof

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

Pci-e 3.0 wasn't even on my mind, but good call. The whole point of this upgrade is to get the most out of my 7970 and to future proof. Derp on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.