Sandy Bridge Owners Can Rent CinemaNow HD Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Surprising Intel is going to the lengths it is. I guess they want to completely steamroll bulldozer. =) To be honest though I hope AMD puts up a hell of a fight the next few months..

AbdullahG

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Jerky_san[/nom]Surprising Intel is going to the lengths it is. I guess they want to completely steamroll bulldozer. =) To be honest though I hope AMD puts up a hell of a fight the next few months..[/citation]
Well, it certainly isn't drawing as much attention as BD is (AMD hasn't had a major arch change since 1995 I believe with the K8 arch). I see this is more of a perk Intel is offering for SB owners to probably draw in more buyers, especially for those looking for an HTPC center (not really something a gamer would need, but it's still nice). It probably won't give a sales boost for the i5s and i7s, more likely the i3s.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
LOL @ hearing the name Viiv again. That whole marketing plan never did make sense to me....and I was running a store that was an authorized Intel re-seller and retail partner. Seems like this latest perk to Sandy Bridge owners is way more tangible than there attempts in the past.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]Well, it certainly isn't drawing as much attention as BD is (AMD hasn't had a major arch change since 1995 I believe with the K8 arch). I see this is more of a perk Intel is offering for SB owners to probably draw in more buyers, especially for those looking for an HTPC center (not really something a gamer would need, but it's still nice). It probably won't give a sales boost for the i5s and i7s, more likely the i3s.[/citation]
Really though, Intel hasn't either. The entire Core arch was based off the old Pentium III after Netburst (pentium 4) was hopelessly unable to scale.

elusion11

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]Really though, Intel hasn't either. The entire Core arch was based off the old Pentium III after Netburst (pentium 4) was hopelessly unable to scale.[/citation]

you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about do you?

G

The cool thing about this new technology is you can buy or rent the titles and it is the first time 1080p has been avaible for delivery to the PC. I like it because before I had the problems that my disks would get lost or damaged. Now I can download a digital copy (for up to 5 systems) and not only watch it on my big screen (either over HDMI / DP, but also with Wireless Display) or take it with me and watch it on the plane or on my TV in the hotel. Good stuff!

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]Really though, Intel hasn't either. The entire Core arch was based off the old Pentium III after Netburst (pentium 4) was hopelessly unable to scale.[/citation]

So much has changed since then that its hard to tell what remnants are left over.

Besides, with AMD's "radical" new module based approach, they seem to be going nowhere. What do you prefer?

AbdullahG

Distinguished
[citation][nom]DavidC1[/nom]So much has changed since then that its hard to tell what remnants are left over. Besides, with AMD's "radical" new module based approach, they seem to be going nowhere. What do you prefer?[/citation]
There's really no telling the overall performance as the engineering samples don't have the final silicon. Until release, we won't no how well BD performs.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]drapacioli[/nom]Funny, it says my PC doesn't qualify. I have an Intel i7 2600k, how does that not qualify as a second generation core?[/citation]

Are you using discrete graphics or integrated? I'm assuming this is only possible through HD Graphics 3000/2000 and its PAVP.

G

Elusion11: Do you know what you're talking about? Core1+2 were based off the Pentium III. Core i7s first iterations were that same Core2 base, a small number of new SSE instructions, plus stealing their un-core from AMD. Sandy Bridge re-introduced some Pentium IV-isms, which did next to nothing for IPC, but did allow slightly higher clocks. Albeit, the stock clocks aren't any higher, because they won't last at those frequencies, but it does boost their image.

Then of course, they continually bloat the x86 standard by adding new instructions, which they may or may not let AMD and VIA use. Many apps still choose to be compiled for i386, i686, or basic x86_64, except for the benchmarks you see on sites like Tom's which are almost all compiled with ICC, with optimizations for Intel's latest(but not AMD's).

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]Are you using discrete graphics or integrated? I'm assuming this is only possible through HD Graphics 3000/2000 and its PAVP.[/citation]

Does anyone who own a K model really use the integrated crap?

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Actually folks...

Intel's core base processors where based on the Pentium M platform. Intel had heat issues with the Pentium IV that could not be resolved.

G

you can have a system that has both discrete and integrated on a desktop but you need to use a switchable graphics solution like Lucid's Virtu and plug your monitor into the on board graphics, then not only will Intel Insider work, but you will also be able to take advantage of other graphics features like Quick Sync. Also make sure you have installed the MEI driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.